40

Chaos exploded around the blockade

Chaos exploded around the blockade. What had started as a tense confrontation spiraled into a full-blown nightmare, the infected swarming from all directions, drawn by the panic and noise. The once-organized line of soldiers, who had been trying to keep order, began to falter under the onslaught. Their shouts and commands turned frantic as the horde, with guttural growls, closed in with terrifying speed.

This was the inevitable consequence of the military's misguided decision to corral the infected into quarantine tents, packed so tightly that it had become a breeding ground for disaster.

The infected, no longer contained by the fragile fabric of the tents, poured into the streets. The soldiers' rifles erupted into gunfire, but it was impossible to tell who was infected and who wasn't in the sea of terrified faces. In the confusion, civilians, some who had been trying to escape, and others attempting to save their loved ones, were caught in the crossfire. Screams of the living and the dead filled the air as bullets sprayed indiscriminately.

Some tried to make it back to their cars, thinking they'd find safety there, but the infected were relentless, smashing through windows, and clawing at anyone within reach.

Vince's heart pounded in his chest as he watched the scene unravel. Glass shattered all around them and the sounds of car alarms only added to the chaos, attracting more infected. Horrified screams filled the air, mixing with the sound of gunfire and the sickening wet splatter of blood. The infected moved with an animalistic fury, tearing into those too slow to get away, spraying red in every direction.

Suddenly, Ethan began pulling at Vince's arm frantically, his face pale with terror. "We gotta go, now!"

For a moment, Vince stood frozen, staring at Ethan in shock before glancing behind the taller boy to see a family try to shield their children as the infected tore through the crowd.

But Ethan yanked at him again, harder this time, his voice cracking. "For fuck's sake Vince! let's go!"

Vince snapped out of it and nodded. "Okay, okay, let's go!"

They bolted, dodging panicked civilians and stumbling over bodies, blood, and the occasional bullet. The first thought was to sprint back to the car and try to get out of that mess, an idea everyone else also seemed to have. Ethan led the way back while Vince stayed behind them, making sure Will, who was in the middle wasn't left behind.

But as they got closer, Vince's stomach dropped. The car was swarmed. Dozens of infected clung to it, their bloody hands smearing across the windows as they tried to break through. Others had beaten them to the unlocked car and were trying to escape the chaos to no avail.

"Shit! No way through!" Vince shouted, skidding to a stop, his hands reaching out to help Will stay on his feet.

Ethan cursed under his breath, his eyes darting around wildly. "What do we do now?!"