Part 19

Flash back

Paul sat at dinner with his son and his new girlfriend, Emily, watching with a smile on his face as he watched Evan interact with her so excitedly. The singer reached across the table and clasped his son's shoulder before he grabbed Emily's hand and pulled it to his lips, kissing it softly. Evan's smile faded as he looked back at his father and his girlfriend. The guitarist stiffened in his chair and looked back at his son.

"What's the matter?" Paul whispered.

"This is sickening. She's fresh out of college and you have a son almost the same age, and you re dating her. You should be disgusted with yourself for leaving my mom for this," Evan hissed.

"Ev, we have been through this. I didnt leave your mom. You have to stop being threatened by every person that comes into my life. Your mother moved on and it's time I did. Especially since im going to be home alone." The singer replied.

"You should be spending all your time with me instead of with this bimbo. Do you not remember the promise you made after you and mom split?" Evan said, standing up from the table.

"Paul, are you going to let him talk to me like that?" Emily asked

"Please stay out of it, Evan. Please get back here," The guitarist called.

He watched as his son disappeared out the doors before he turned to look at his girlfriend. The singer took a seat and finished his wine as he heard high heels turn and walk off. Paul turned in his seat to see her walk toward the same door Evan had gone out.

"Where are you going?" Paul shouted

"I'm gonna find out what his problem is. That's your problem. You never want to talk about anything with. Anyone you just let them run away. He's really upset." Emily replied

The singer hit the table with his fist, causing the dishes to all clatter before he re-buttoned his sports coat and headed toward the door. What he saw next as he opened the doors made his stomach drop to the floor. He flew out the door and screamed, making the two figures in front of him jump apart. Evan looked at his father with a smirk on his face.

"You're kissing my son?" Paul screamed

—---------------------------------------------------------------------

Present day

"Wait, is this around the time Evan disappeared and you had to call all of us to go look for him?" you asked, pulling away from him

"Yeah, two weeks later he disappeared and so did she. I thought he just went to blow off some steam, but what I found next was heartbreaking. Landed us all into family sessions of therapy for a while. I thought he was fine once he met you and the two of you moved on to New York." Paul replied.

"Do you want to tell me that story, or is that too much right now?" You asked as you rubbed your hand down his arm.

"Right now i just want to spend the day making up for my inappropriate behavior last night. Ill tell you the rest of this evil tell after dinner tonight. Just promise you won't hate him too much once you know everything." The singer replied.

You leaned forward and kissed his lips, feeling the tension release from his body as he wrapped his arms around you tightly. You looked down to see the bloody bandage on his hand and pulled away to look at it. Paul winced as you pulled back the bandage to reveal the deep gash in his hand.

"I think you may need stitches. Can you call for a doctor to come up here and look at it?" You said as you cradled his hand.

"Yeah, ill call for them to send out our doctor we usually use when we are on tour here. But don't think that getting in the way of our beach date. You go get ready and ill make the phone call," Paul replied.

The two of you kissed one more time before you separated, and the feeling of guilt washed over you. Was the singer really trying to protect you and himself from being hurt again? What did Evan and Paul's ex really do together that broke the singer's heart? All these questions swarmed your mind as you headed downstairs to make breakfast for the two of you. Part of you wanting to reach out to Evan for the full story.

As you walked into the kitchen, you saw the house phone sitting on the charging dock. Looking around, you quietly tiptoed to it and then dialed a number you knew by heart. You waited for the fifth ring before a familiar voice came across the line.

"Hey it's me. Listen, we need to talk about everything. If I can find a computer, can you do a zoom meeting with me later?" You asked quickly into the phone.

You held your breath as you listened to the voice ramble on the other line for a few minutes before you walked over and grabbed a piece of paper. Writing down the email address and new phone number to reach your old flame again. As foot steps approached the top of the stairs, you quickly hung up the phone and stuffed the piece of paper into your pocket.