Chapter 14

recommend heart to heart by mac demarco

Jakes Pov: 

When I awake my body is entangled with another, Drew's. Sunlight shined through his window and the sound of his soft snores filled the room. He looks peaceful while he sleeps, except for the clear red rim of his eyes. I can tell he's been crying.

I hope he's okay. I get up from the bed and tuck Drew back in before heading out the door to go to the washroom. First I splash cold water on my face and wash my hands, then I touch up my hair and head back.

Drew lays there still deep asleep, I give him a peck on the forehead and walk out the room. Making sure to leave a note mostly for a 'get better soon' and 'come to my house at anytime' type things.

I left his basket of sick things on his large cushioned chair in the corner of his room. While on my way out Carol had returned home and pulled up into the driveway. She waved at me as I did the same. Carol swung the door open taking her coat off, "hey Jake, how's Drew?"

"Asleep, although he might need some time away from school," I say, remembering how hard he cried. 

"Yeah, there was a little issue so I'll pull him out for now..." she says, zoning out into the distance.

"Carol?" I ask, she snaps back and looks at me.

"Yea-"

"What happened."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The older woman tells me to follow her into the living room. She puts the kettle on to make us some hot chocolate and sick tea for Drew when he awakes. Carol ushers me to take a seat so we can formerly and properly talk about Drew's situation and his struggles at the moment.

It's kind of like we're gossiping, but now is not the time for that.

Carol looks at me, her liquid blue eyes staring into me with concern, fear, and pity. She takes the seat across from me on their blue puffed up couch.

"Yesterday..." she starts, I just look at her, on the edge of my seat, waiting to hear what she has to say. "Yesterday, Drew's younger brother, David, passed." I don't reply, I just keep waiting for her to continue, although my heart aches for Drew, even though I didn't even know he had a brother in the first place. "David has been in a coma for the past decade and a bit...Drew cared for him greatly. David was probably one of the only reasons keeping him grounded, and now...Drew is almost, lost, without him." Tears roll down the side of her face and I'm a sensitive person as well, so my eyes become a bit glossy as well.

"I'm sorry...for your loss. I'll do everything I can for Drew." Because I love him.

She smiles at me, wiping her tears with her palms. The kettle starts whistling loudly and she quickly gets up to get it. Way to ruin the moment, stupid kettle. I hear steps coming from their carpeted stairwell a little ways away. Drew must be awake.

I get up and brush myself off, even though their house is way to clean for me to get dirty. The first thing I see is his beautiful magenta hair. He rubs his eyes and stumbles towards me, wrapping his arms around my abdomen. I rest my chin on the top of his and take my arms, holding his waist.

He looks up at me, like a cat, waiting to be fed. In a loss of my conscious, I give him a small peck on his forehead and smile at him. My smile slowly droops as I tilt my neck down next to his ear and whisper, "I'm sorry... about David."

His grips gets tighter on me and he buries his face into the crevasse in my neck. I bring an arm up and rub his back in circles.

Carol then calls us over for some hot chocolate and tea. I intertwine my hand with Drews, my heart beating faster and my face growing hotter. I grab my mug and blow on it, picking it up and taking a sip. It immediately burns my tongue and Drew gives a small laugh, it's good to hear him laugh again. Then I realize he was watching in the first place and blush, turning away. He just laughs a bit harder, making me smile.

After Drew drinks his tea, we head back up. I know I was going to go home but Drew is more important right now. I call my mom right after helping Carol clean up. My mom says that I can stay, but I'm going to have to go back home tomorrow and if I need to, I can bring Drew along as well. 

I jog up his stairs and make it in front of his room, knocking on the door lightly before letting myself in. The room is empty with no Drews around but the bathroom door is cracked open and light streams through, mist coming through the small gap.

I decide to wait for Drew on his bed, scrolling through tiktok while I wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In about ten minutes Drew steps out, a towel wrapped around his lower body and a smaller towel to dry his hair. I look at him flustered and turn my face away.

He catches me red as a tomato again and laughs, he gets changed in the bathroom and comes back to bed. The covers are soft and plush, his wet hair tickles my neck and cheeks. We both get under the covers and we hug in a tangled mess, but fitting together like puzzle pieces. I hold him like I'll never let him go again, which I won't. I made a promise to Carol. I will fulfill that promise.

I love Drew more than my own life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author here! sorry i skipped like three weeks of posting a thing...i kinda got bored but im back now :D and im also posting on a weekday even though i have school.... BUT I HAD A BUNCH OF TESTS and also i was hanging out with friends and going places and etc. which is why i havent posted in awhile :( ALSO TYYYY SOSOSOOSOOS MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT LIKE COMMENTS, VOTES, AND 700 VIEWS????!!!! word count 950+ i hope u guys enjoy my writing. and i hope to make another story once this one is completed!!