Chapter 01

It was a blissful cold night as I stepped out into the street letting go of an old faded knob from a restaurant door. I wobbled across the pavement and I thought how satisfied I was using those gift coupons to pay for my meal courtesy of my former company. 

A cheap trick, I thought it was just to lure corporate slaves to stay longer and plow along the awful working days. Freakin greedy companies I thought in disdain.

Carefully maneuvering myself not to bump into people dashing away either going straight home or just hurriedly going to start their night shift, carrying their faces without emotions imprisoned by their own thoughts looking down on the road, or just straight up walking fast.

I looked up to those glistening bright windows from those office buildings all tall and intimidating. It feels so distant and cold, nothing homely about it. This is common in Butchart City.

I saw the streets full of cars and noticed traffic is really bad around here as any other streets in the city. I decided that I might as well walk around before I went home.

This was my last day at work. I was stuck in the IT department of an ancient retail company, coding away on their website like it was still the Stone Age. I liked tinkering with tech and all, but sometimes I felt like I'd been banging my head against a brick wall. Takes a lot of energy to convince those hags to spend a little amount of money on technology.

I remembered this morning that Holly, my dear friend, and a former coworker asked me what my plans were for my three-week holiday.

I answered back with "Just spending my vacation time in our hometown."

"My goodness, Iris!" she sounded disappointed. "Might as well get laid, you're a 27-year-old single lady."

"Get out there and get a hot guy for the night before you go." she teased. "Are you planning to be a cat lady in the future like Ms. Sanches back home?"

She hugged me and I just smiled at her as she left me be. "My good old friend Holly," I thought.

We have been friends for many years but she has particularly taken care of me since after the accident, in which I particularly don't want to remember it.

Holly has been pestering me about dates but I couldn't snag one. "I'm not that old," I thought.

It's like I'm invisible to the opposite sex, or maybe they're just intimidated by my seniority. "Who knows?"I wondered. Probably, I don't go out that much that's for sure.

Is it the way I look as I glanced at my reflection in the window glass as I walked past the buildings, staring at my pink hoodie. It felt so warm and comfortable wearing my favorite hoodie as I smiled at my image with satisfaction.

I have dark brown hair and almond eyes, petite, and at least I've got healthy skin, thanks to the healthy effects of body oil even though I looked pale. I am sure I'm not ugly at all.

Confidently, I said to the air with a smile "I'm cute".

Just when I thought my night couldn't get any more depressing, my phone started buzzing with the ultimate buzzkill: my parents, Delan and Jen Primrose. Their mission was to turn me into a married woman as if I could just snap my fingers and make a husband appear out of thin air.

They keep on saying they've been invited to too many weddings and baby showers but they can't organize mine.

The wind is a bit chilly but I dream of buds of flowers showing in the distance. I sighed knowing I had to wait for such things then I realized the unrecognized building façade and signage around here. I have never been to this place, I thought. I was too absent-minded just moving along with the crowd but this place is quite the opposite of busy. I didn't know where my feet brought me.

Less people on the road, and tall buildings around but it's eerily quiet down here. I think I walked long enough and I don't know where I am. Now, I've been living in this city for about four years,

Sure, I know my way around the basic places like the office, train station, and all, but when it comes to the nooks and crannies of this place I'm blind. I hurriedly walked because this was a city and it was dark already. Danger lurks in every corner of any city.

I better look for the main street. As I walked around this place I realized since my stay in this metropolis, it's not just any old city, it's the beating heart of influence and innovation. Towering skyscrapers reaching for the heavens, streets teeming with people from all walks of life, and a buzz in the air. Yep, that's my city in a nutshell – a melting pot of cultures, ideas, and, let's be real, a whole lot of chaos.

This city may not be the capital, but we've got our fair share of heavy hitters in the business world. They say money talks, and in this city, it's practically shouting from the rooftops. But, we all know there are dark sides to any city. Shady characters flock to the metropolis. This place is not an exception. This place also has its desperate souls who couldn't get any opportunities but to survive willing to crawl out of hell.

I better get going and find the main street. I better check my phone. But, two people suddenly appeared in front and startled me. Fists were flying, curses were being hurled, and before I could even process what was happening, someone whipped out a knife and things took a turn for the worse. A fight undoubtedly happened in my presence.

A tall guy stabbed his opponent but the other one deflected the knife with all his strength but failed.

My body froze in place, paralyzed by fear. I can't move my body. Every muscle screamed for me to run, but my feet remained rooted to the spot. Panic engulfed me, my heart pounding so loudly I was sure it would burst from my chest.

"Run!" I screamed in my mind, willing myself to move. But it was as if an invisible force held me captive, rendering me helpless against the impending danger.

I clenched my fists, desperate to break free from the suffocating grip of fear. I screamed with all my might to break away the numbness gripping my body.