Chapter 15

At a nearby coffee shop from their office during morning work hours, Carl and I, waiting at the counter, coincidentally crossed paths with Mr. Silva. Greetings were exchanged in a polite manner, as expected in such encounters.

Mr. Silva posted a question about information regarding a private port related to the company that he just learned about recently.

"Ah, yes, the private port," Carl said. "It's been around since my grandfather's hi-day" He stirred.

"That's good to hear. I hope it won't have any negative impact on the company's reputation down the line" Mr. Silva commented, devoid of emotion.

"I hope you make the best decisions because some people are not capable or have the skills to handle the CEO position," he said like mocking him and trying to trigger a fight.

"Hey!" I thought, what the heck are you trying to say, mister. I looked at Carl for his reaction. If he punched him, I'll swing some fists too. 

In response, Carl remained composed and calculated, his demeanor reflecting his stern role. 

"It is everything for the company," he affirmed, emphasizing the weight of his responsibility. "It's my sole responsibility, entrusted to me by my grandfather," he added with pride in the air.

Mr. Silva, probed further, "You must have missed the old man," he remarked.

"Very," Carl replied with a deep serious voice, his words carrying a sense of authority.

Mr. Silva nodded and politely left us.

"Is that Mr. Silva?" Iris asked as she watched Mr. Silva step out of the coffee shop.

Carl just nodded as he reached for his and her coffee. "What is that private port asked by that man?" she asked, nonchalantly.

"That port should remain private. Nobody should know about it." He whispered in my ears.

His voice was so deep it reached my very core and the breath coming from him brushed my very skin that made me blush. I was very shy for a moment there but I followed him immediately outside.

"Do you always work together with him?" I asked when reached my husband's side.

"We don't see each other often only during big meetings" He replied indifferently.

"Oh, I just remembered we're going to have karaoke with Holly after work, would you like to come?" I asked while trying to sip my coffee.

"Why do you need me to come, it seems like a girl's night out and it's a weekday" he reluctantly answered her with curiosity.

"We are just going to a family karaoke so I guess just a little booze because she will bring her toddler with her." I tried to sound so convincing. "Well, she's really down right now. It seems she had a little fight with her hubby." I smiled at him to convince him to come. 

"I want to be there for her like when she was there for me," I added sweetly.

"Okay, I guess you need a chauffeur later," he said pointing his right index finger on his right cheek in defeat.

The day ends as usual busy at work leading to the karaoke venue where Holly arrived already at the booked room for us.

I greeted my best friend with a hug with excitement and then gave little Bunny her son a great embrace. That little rascal tried to wiggle his escape from my warm arms. Carl and Holly gave each other a quick hug.

As we settled into the comfort of the big room filled with drawings and neon lights. We wasted no time in diving into the crucial decision-making process of what to order for our feast. Pizza or tacos? Soda or beer? We scanned the menu carefully and then gave our scrumptious order to the server.

We attempted to navigate the karaoke machine's remote control to line up the songs. My best friend turned to Carl in a friendly manner so he would not miss out. "Carl" she called, "why don't you choose a song?"

Carl, bless his heart, looked like a fish caught in a net, his expression a perfect blend of confusion and panic. "Uh, me? Choose a song. I'm just the driver for today" he stammered, the idea is so foreign to him. He explained he had never done this before but it seemed he was up for the challenge.

Holly handed him the remote and taught him how to navigate the machine like a mentor teaching a novice apprentice.

And as Carl confidently scrolled through the song list, I couldn't help but wonder what musical masterpiece he would grace us with. Would it be a classic ballad or an upbeat pop hit? Only time would tell, but one thing was for sure – this karaoke night was shaping up to be one for the books.

An hour passed, we enjoyed the food, and Bunny sure was munching away so cute. Holly and Carl took turns singing their songs. Carl has a really good singing voice, not great but can tune some songs.

Then, Holly started singing her favorite ballad and she slowly started to cry. Here it is, I didn't ask directly what's going on with her family, I just waited for her to open up on her own.

They had been constantly fighting. All too worked up about each other's job, finances and raising a child. She felt they were drifting apart. Holly poured her heart out and kept kissing Bunny's cheeks when he looked with concern at her mommy crying. I poured beer to Holly's glass once it was empty and caressed her back saying let it all out.

I also drank my fair share of alcohol even though I'm not good at handling it. The beer gave me the courage to sing a song for everyone in this room.

I attempted to show off my singing skills. As I opened my mouth I butchered the chosen song causing him to laugh so loud that Holly was infected with his laughter. Both were laughing at me. "You never knew," Holly asked, whipping her tears. "She loves singing." She added comedically. "Yes, but singing hates me," I replied and continued my very own concert.

The spin at the karaoke ended at 8 pm. Holly and I were drunk but all was well, she now felt fine that she was able to share her sentiments on her marriage. I was glad to offer my help to my best friend but the world is twirling round and round.

Carl was bewildered about how to handle two drunk women with still an energetic toddler. "Don't you ever go low bat kid?" he looked at Bunny with worry.

Carl took my phone and looked for Holly's husband's number. He called him and asked for his help in his current predicament.

Moments later her husband arrived and apologized to Carl. They had a short discussion on how to do things. Then, Holly's husband picked up and carried her wife outside while Carl carried Bunny, leaving me alone sitting in the room.

Carl entered the karaoke room again and stood in front of me with his towering body. He held my left cheek and I could feel him gently caressing my skin. He calmly pulled my face looking up to him. He then bent and kissed my forehead. It was warm and reassuring.

He moved his lips from my head towards my lips. He slowly kissed me. I was surprised but couldn't do anything. I'm too dizzy. Is this a dream? I asked myself. I think it is. I parted my lips and let him in. I want you, when did it all start feeling this way? His tongue is so soft, so hot, and so strong. He then slowly took away his lips from me.

My body was really confusingly heating up whether from the alcohol or from that kiss. I just smiled back at him and closed my eyes then my world just signed off.