Chapter 25

As we sat together in the kitchen enjoying our breakfast, I couldn't shake the curiosity swirling in my mind about what had transpired last night at the port.

However, I resisted the urge to ask for information. I didn't want to spoil the morning with my nosiness. 

I better ask Dave or James for details but let's just say James was there. However, I think he would never divulge any information to me.  He is such a killjoy. I better talk to Dave about the incident at the port. 

But, I guess Dave was not around at the port because he had to drive me home. but probably James might have told him something. I'll ask Dave later, that's for sure. 

Carl grabbed the TV remote and switched on the morning news. A breaking news segment about the container van caught my attention.

With my mouth full of cereal, I gestured wildly at the TV, trying to convey my eagerness for information.

The container van was found abandoned in a nearby rice field. The reporter mentioned that authorities were scrambling to uncover the identity of the culprit behind this bizarre incident.

It was unsettling to realize that this incident occurred just last night, yet it was already making headlines.

I couldn't help but wonder about the motives behind such a reckless act. If those people were discovered at the port, Carl would be implicated.

They were lucky enough that they were able to find a solution to this big problem. Fortunately, they found out early before everything went down.  I guess being hyper-vigilant and thinking on their feet have its advantages.

I snapped back to reality when I heard Carl calling my name, not once but twice. "Iris? Iris?" I blinked a few times and finally responded, "Yes?"

"What are you thinking?" Carl's voice broke through my thoughts. "You have this distant look on your face like you're pondering the secrets of the universe."

I felt a bit embarrassed. "Well, about last night, I saw a man dragged to the office." I finally voiced my concern.

Carl grinned, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "You're worried about him and not me? Now, I'm jealous," he teased. Then, his expression softened. "But don't worry, he's fine. He's alive. I just fired him for ignoring his NDA."

"He was just being used like a pawn by someone in the port," he mused out loud.

"But who?" My curiosity got the better of me, and I looked at Carl for answers.

"You don't need to know the rest," Carl said, his tone serious.

"Some things are better left unknown," he added. "Trust me on this one." 

"This is my concern and responsibility, not yours."

"But" I interjected. Carl looked at me intently and said "No, Iris."

He was basically trying to say mind your damn own business Iris in a business-like tone.

I nodded, understanding his point. "Okay, got it." I thought it was better not to push his buttons but I'm too curious about what happened. But, I realized I didn't want to be that person that would inflame this man. I saw a part of Carl at that port and it was the scary side. This man is not to be messed around.

"Don't go on your adventures like last night." he cautioned me with a softened gaze. " That was utterly dangerous Iris."

"No matter how curious you are. Some things should not be disclosed and be kept in the dark." he furrowed his brows as he forewarned me.  "If you're not ready to face the truth of society."

"Please," he begged with his eyes darted at me.

"Sure," I replied to him with a serious mood as I returned my attention to my food. He's not the right person to inquire regarding last night.

Carl flashed me a quick smile. "So, get ready, or we'll be late," he warned, switching back to his usual lighthearted tone.

What kind of world have I stepped into? I asked bewildered and scared a bit.

However, I don't understand why the heck I felt giddy about the whole situation. It seems I am becoming Dave. All happy about the unfortunate events.

It's not like, I like it, like it. I just felt excited that It's not boring after all. I got to see and hear all the action happening in this city. 

"What will happen next?" I contemplated this question while following this man in front of me.