Chapter 03

Carl's POV

I followed this petite woman to a convenience store, yanked my arms while we crossed the street and suddenly let go. I was startled by that gesture. Who is this girl in a pink hoodie? Is she the Iris I knew? Why did she save me?

A little woman saved me, of all the people in this city, her. I'm astonished by the bravery or spunkiness of this little woman.

I knew someone from high school with a similar-sounding name. "Are they the same people?" I wondered. I haven't seen most of my schoolmates, particularly a girl named Iris. I don't know what she looks like now or how she is.

But, this girl before me was quite weird, and unique, but she piqued my interest. She intrigued me or is it because she saved me.

She showed me her coupons to pay for our food. I smiled back as she was paying at the cashier. Those eyes of affection and kindness. And using a coupon to take revenge on the corporate world. Who thinks that way? I asked myself. I thought, maybe it was just her.

She doesn't know who I am but she is willing to help a stranger. A very disadvantageous trait, young lady. You can easily be in peril, Iris in this dangerous world. I imagined a country flower appeared, and would be trampled by wild dogs.

But, those eyes. I clenched my hand so hard. This urge to hold her tightly very tightly like a wolf not letting go of his prey. I long to be drenched with real affection from everyone somehow including you, a stranger.

Unlike people I know, people showered me with respect or generosity and even hate because of my identity.

Do you work for Penelope Clothing? I asked her as we sat by the convenience store chair looking at the street.

She shook her head and bit open the seasoning sachet with her teeth.

"Not anymore, how do you know?" she asked while walking towards to get hot water.

"It's on the gift certificate," I replied when she returned with the tray of our noodles.

"I am unemployed as of this moment but I'll start working three weeks from now with a new company. How about you, what do you do?" she asked.

"Well, I got accepted recently by Bellator Group." I told her with a half-truth.

Wow, that company is really big in this country, she said, it's a conglomerate with awe in her voice.

"Where are you going to work?" I asked her nonchalantly.

"I will work for Salus Tech as an engineer."

"Yeah, You look like an engineer." I blurted out trying to be nice which is strange for me even. "You look so cute with that hoodie."

She looked at me so intently with disdain. "What did I say? Did I say something wrong?" I asked myself.

"Is that a prejudice?" She snickered. She dropped a sandwich in front of me.

"I'm sorry but no," I said apologetically. "I have no intention of being rude to my savior."

I guess you want to hear that little flower as I thought this and thinking of what other ways I could do to you.

"Engineers are known for comfortable fashion, " I told her frankly trying to lessen the tension which was merely an excuse for me.

Sorry... I prolonged the words to her. She just smirked in agreement and asked about my position in the company.

I couldn't tell her the truth. I wanted this condition between us to continue. I was extremely delighted with our dynamics. I wanted to be around her.

Eventually, I said I will work for the CEO. A big fat lie. I took a big sip of the hot noodles quickly. Shit! hot! I think I burned my tongue.

"I guess he needs a lot of people," she added as she focused on her instant noodles.

We mainly talked about the city, great places to visit, and good food. She seemed to be interested in food. I am perplexed that someone can be so optimistic that it rubs onto someone. She is a ray of sunshine.

We said our goodbyes and waited for her to get into the taxi. I took my phone and called James as I looked at the taxi moving away in the distance. Before she left I made sure I got her number and email.

"Let's continue where we left off," I told the person on the other end of the phone.

A black car stopped in front of me and I told James, my secretary sitting at the front passenger. As I got in the car, I gave him instructions. 

"First is to investigate Iris Primrose starting it with Salus Technologies. She will be working for us, coincidentally. Search for information about everything about her. Second, create an ID and pass for me for the Bellator building similar to the regular employees have." I said finally with a pause to gather my thought. "And, lastly,.. get that mother fucker that stab me 6 feet under."

"Okay," James agreed quickly. "But Carl, that woman, she seems to be a nice girl",

"Don't worry I'm not gonna hurt her."  I told him comically, but silently I just want to bite her. I will see you again Iris while looking at the bright moon shining down on the damned city. See you soon.

The night is still cold but a hint of spring is coming but surely it's not finished yet.

"Do you want to see your mother, Melinda?" James asked, "She is actually in a new club downtown."

"Yes. let's go see her" I replied. What is she up to now?"