Chapter 05

A new dawn, a new day, and a new adventure I yelled to the air. I better get ready to get to my new job. It's my first day and I want it to be different. I decided to give up on using my hoodie and planned to wear a nice business suit, heels, blazer, slacks, and eyeglasses. Perfect!

I had a wonderful vacation before so I am rejuvenated. Holly actually came too to our hometown with her baby boy in tow one weekend. She missed me already when she realized I was not around my usual spot in the office.

It was the best vacation ever, doing nothing at all. Sleeping all day without a care in the world. I don't know when these things will happen again so I immersed myself into procrastinating.

I just lounged around the sofa or lay in bed. I didn't even go out if I needed to. Sometimes, I did go out when my parents forced me to go with them for a walk after dinner.

My parents are not complainers but only pushed me to get married but surprisingly they didn't persuade me during my stay at home. I was really grateful for the peace and quiet.

Marriage is not for me. I'm perfectly fine flying solo. Even though I asked myself many times, is there someone out there for me like my parents meant for each other. But, they say solitude is addictive, and I couldn't agree more. Being on my own feels just right.

Now, I have a different journey ahead to take. I am nervous thinking about what kind of people I will work with. I just planned to continue this quiet life in the new office.

I trudged towards this ginormous building that practically screamed "serious business" from every towering window. Seriously, this place made Mount Everest look like a hill – it was that tall, that huge, and that darn intimidating. If buildings could talk, this one would probably be barking orders and demanding deadlines.

My new startup company is situated in a little slice of heaven in this monstrosity of a building. I felt like a cod swimming with sharks in a sea of suits and briefcases.

I never felt so intimidated by all these people in the lobby, all too serious. I felt like I was not in the right place as I entered the elevator and looked at my blazer and shoes. I nodded to myself with approval. Yes, I'm at the right place.

I distracted myself from that negative feeling. I thought instead of how my life is as exciting as a new adventure awaits me here.

After enduring what felt like the longest orientation in the history of orientations with HR, I finally got acquainted with my team and department. Turns out, they were a pretty cool bunch. And before I knew it, I was knee-deep in tasks for the day.

Eventually, it was time for us newbies to give a short presentation about our personal project we wanted to start. Everyone inside the conference room was hoping to be given a chance to have resources, financial support, and of course prestige under their belt from Salus.

Unlike other companies that continuously have a never-ending cycle of false promises and vague indications of promotion is driving me crazy. I heard from the grape vines among engineers that this startup will choose one project from their employees every year to support. They have been doing this since their inception, not too long ago.

This is one of the reasons why I opted to apply for this company. It's their gesture of noblesse oblige. I can have the chance to start my own project that crowdsources for people who cannot afford to go to school or the capital for their farm. It's not a loan app asking for an interest but donating anonymously to their chosen people to support.

I was over the moon when I finished my presentation, nervous, but happy. I can't wait to start such a project in the future. A hope that humanity is not lost. There are still people willing to help without prejudice or malice. I hope they will choose my project.

Time flew by faster, the sun was setting and my stomach was growling louder than a pack of hungry wolves.

But then, a familiar scent drifted towards me, stirring something deep within my heart. It was a subtle yet intoxicating aroma, one that I hadn't experienced in what felt like an eternity.

For a moment, I closed my eyes and allowed myself to bask in the warmth of that familiar fragrance. It felt like coming home after a long journey, like being reunited with a piece of myself that I had been missing.

With a smile tugging at the corners of my lips, I took a deep breath, savoring the moment. Instantly, I knew who it is.