Fire Sparks Fear

Piecks POV
With my rifle in hand, we wait on the boat as planned. Sitting here I cant help but miss my titan. Ever since it was taken from me, a piece of me has been missing. On top of the obvious in which I'm weaker without it.

Coming out of the bathroom, Clara sits quietly in front of me pulling out a cased knife from her satchel. Leaving it incased, she places it on the table, spinning it in boredom.

Reaching out, I hold the knife in place "You know, kids shouldn't play with knifes." I say picking it up.

Attempting to take it back she lunges "hey give it back" she fails, standing with a pout.

I giggle from her cuteness, taking it out of its case I see nothing special to its brand. No significant markings other than a date. Losing interest I put it back in its case, handing it to her.

"You shouldnt touch other peoples things" she scolds me, putting it in her satchel.

"Well you shouldn't have weapons people can take so easily." I rest my chin in my palm"Your father took my friend's weapons once, so consider it a small payback." I fake a smile, as I remember him eating my comrades.

It was foolish of them to leave her with me and all my knowledge if they never told her about the war. Did they trust Id be supportive of this childs future or something? Then again they had no choice if they wanted to save the other kid; I believe Min was his name.

"My dad wouldn't do that" she huffs, sitting down aggressively with crossed arms.

Watching her reminds me of the days when I wanted children. Even though my days were numbered before I lost the Titan, the idea use to cross my mind frequently. Now that I have the opportunity, the idea feels so distant.

Looking at Erens family alone, the troubles of keeping these kids alive is near impossible compared to barely surviving on your own. By the looks of it, making a family is sentencing my future generations to a cruel fate. Makes me wonder where Clara stands in all this...

I hum "Is that so? Would you say your dad is a good guy?" With a raised brow I wait curiously for her answer.

Her face saddens , as her arms fall to her lap "N-Not a good guy" she mumbles, grasping my attention further.

"Then enthuse me, what is your dad if not a good guy?"

She hesitates in thought for a moment, "Dad is a protector. Ever since the Greeds came and our family was separated, for some reason people wanted Dad to lead them. Others would threaten us but Dad was willing to kill anything and anyone to protect me...." She trails off getting lost in thought.

This child's eyes hold a different perspective of Eren. A perspective of a man that had a chance to live a life in peace, and somehow I feel left out.

"You're saying your dad is a villain you know" I attempt to make her mad for entertainment.

Her gaze meets mine with a large grin "Then I guess even villains protect the ones they love"

My heart warms at her words, as a chuckle slips my lips "Even villains huh?"

Seeming to be more comfortable around me, she goes to the counter, reaching for an apple from the crate. Mid reach her arm pauses, then suddenly drops, knocking the apple onto the floor. I watch as she grabs her head hissing in pain.

"Hey kiddo, are you alright?"

Opening her eyes everything happens in a flash, and I could've sworn I saw a flash of yellow rimming her iris "Pieck we need to leave, there is danger."

Standing up I go to peek outside "there's no danger out there, so don't worry. Your parent's will be here soon..." I attempt to reassure, while going to pick up an apple from the floor.