《Chapter 11》

•°'°•☆•°'°•

Noah patiently waited for me to reply. I tried to find the best way to articulate my question.

"Do you often have parties here?" I started as we continued to stroll down the beach.

"That's all you wanted to know?" Noah quiered and gave me a dumbfounded look.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you another question. But I didn't know if you'd respond." I confessed truthfully and munched on the cookie in my mouth.

"Ask away, I'll try my best to answer." He urged and skillfully snatched a raspberry from my plate.

Thief.

I then pinched his arm, causing him to wince in pain and swat my hand away.

"Does your father not care about those expensive looking furniture in that house because I bet one could get broken – or worse, stolen?" I began lightly, testing to see his reaction.

Noah didn't seem very pleased with my question, I could tell because of how his hand formed into a tight fist. The dark look he gave me, was even more proof that I shouldn't have spoken at all.

"What I meant to ask was," a sheepish smile formed on my lips as I tried to change the topic.

"Does your father -" I attempted, but Noah quickly interjected.

"Say one more thing about my father, Bernett!" His expression grew intimidating.

"All I wanted to know was if he worked with someone called David Klein." I finally revealed and stopped in my tracks, causing Noah to do the same.

"Who the fuck is that?" He asked, with obvious confusion displayed in his features.

I couldn't bring myself to say the word. He was not worthy of it, he didn't deserve the title — Father.

"Forget about it." I breathed and turned to face the ocean.

"Bloody hell, what is going on with you, mate?" Noah held my forearm, which caused me to shift my focus back on him.

"I'm okay. Forget about everything I just said." I told him and moved my arm away from his hold.

"You're acting dodgy, Bernett." He observed, which was understandable from his point of view.

I lightly chuckled in response before releasing a sigh.

"Are you sure, you okay?" He insisted.

"I said I was fine, Noah. Let's go back to the party." I suggested. He seemed hesitant at first but then nodded in agreement.

We silently walked back to the party, when Noah reached for my half full plate to steal sushi. I didn't react to his mischievous behavior, I felt too drained to do so. After all, I did lose my appetite a while back.

"No, whining or pinching?" Noah joked and I shook my head at him with a light smirk.

An abnormal sense of generosity caused me to then hand over to him my entire plate of delicious goods.

"Must be my lucky day!" He commented with a wide grin as we arrived in front of the beach house.

I spotted Evelyn chatting with an unfamiliar girl at the porch. She must have noticed Noah and I approaching because she was currently scrutinizing our every move.

"Are you cold, Bernett?" Noah suddenly asked, when we were a few feet away from the porch.

"Not really, why?"