《Chapter 12》

•°'°•☆•°'°•

"You don't look like someone who's coming from doing a school project." My mother accused immediately after I set one foot into the room.

She was seated on the couch with her laptop placed on top of her lap.

"From the looks of it, you seem to be coming from a party? I seriously hope I'm wrong about that! Do you know what time it is? And what are you wearing?" She exclaimed all at once.

Those were too many questions for me to answer while standing in the doorway. After I had reluctantly stepped inside, I tried to think of a believable excuse.

"Listen, I can explain." I started when I took a seat beside her.

"Bernett, I was worried sick!" She scolded before I could proceed.

"I'm sorry." I decided to apologize.

"For what?"

"Lying about where you were going, passing your curfew, not answering my phone calls, going to a party without my permission? Or maybe you're just sorry because you got caught?" She continued, and I averted my gaze from her intense glare.

"Can't I — be sorry for all the above?" I hesitated to ask.

"You're starting to act like those loose teenagers, who throw away their bright futures!" She fumed and slammed her laptop shut.

That was it — that was the lecture I was trying to avoid.

"I needed a break." I admitted and shrugged my shoulders lightly.

"Don't you think I need one too!" She countered back.

"But you don't see me going out to filthy pubs to drink and soothe my sorrows, now do you?" She rhetorically asked.

"I didn't even drink that much." I tried to defend myself and then realized what I had just confessed to.

"By drink, you mean — alcohol? Are you becoming an alcoholic now?"

It was a trap.

If I told her that I got drunk on accident, she wouldn't believe a word I'd say. She would end up exaggerating everything, and I felt way too exhausted to deal with it.

"Answer me!" She demanded loudly.

Silence had to be my response if I wanted to see another day. Not a single word was escaping that mouth of mine, nah-uh.

"That's how you want to act, fine. Hand me your phone!" She ordered, which caused me to widen my eyes at her.

"No way." I declined in a low but audible tone.

"Did you just refuse?"

"I won't go to any parties again, I swear. My phone is the only thing I have to stay in touch with the people in Green West. Don't take it away, too – please." I begged and noticed how her dark eyes softened.

She heaved out a sigh in defeat and then nodded her head in the direction of the bedroom.

"Next time, ask me for permission first." She told me as I stood up to leave the room.

I plopped myself onto the bed and felt the weight on my body release.

All I craved was some shut-eye.

Before I drifted off to sleep, the vivid image of Zayns priceless expression, flashed in my mind. A faint smile formed on my lips at the thought.

If he didn't hate me already, he probably must have despised my whole existence now.