3. VICTORIA

AS I ARRIVED AT THE DESERTED STREETS, THE absence of stars and the waxing gibbous moon above Seattle indicated that it must have been midnight, as Fred had informed me.

The air was thick with tension as I made my way towards the designated meeting spot. The dimly lit street lamps cast eerie shadows on the crumbling buildings, adding to the sense of foreboding that hung in the air. I could feel the weight of responsibility on my shoulders, knowing that the fate of our group rested on the decisions I was about to make.

As I approached the abandoned warehouse where the meeting was to take place, I couldn't help but feel a surge of adrenaline coursing through my veins. The stakes were high, and the outcome of this confrontation would determine the future of our army. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for what lay ahead.

Pushing open the creaking doors, I stepped into the dimly lit interior of the warehouse. The sound of my footsteps echoed through the empty space, amplifying the tension that hung in the air. I could see Victoria and Riley standing at the far end of the room, their silhouettes illuminated by a single flickering light bulb.

Their piercing glowing red gaze met mine as I approached, and I could see a flicker of amusement in Victoria's eyes. As I stood before them, I could feel the weight of the difficult choices I had to make pressing down on me. The lives of my comrades, the safety of Bree, all depended on the decisions I was about to make. I took a deep breath, summoning every ounce of courage within me.

"Victoria," I began, my voice steady despite the turmoil raging inside me. "We need to have a talk about—."

"If it's regarding tonight, Riley has already informed me," Victoria interjected.

I shifted my attention to Riley. He stood beside Victoria, his expression unreadable.

"He mentioned your bond with the newest vampire," she added, referring to Bree.

I nodded, relieved that Riley had already filled her in. "Yes, I want to ensure her safety. I know she's new to this world, and I want to make sure she's protected."

Victoria's lips curled into a small smile, her amusement evident. "You care for her, don't you?"

I hesitated, unsure of how to respond. Bree had quickly become a dear friend, and I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her. "Yes, I do. She's... Like a little baby. She needs a bit of nurturing, that's all."

Victoria's smile widened, and she placed a hand on my shoulder. "I understand. I will make sure she is taken care of. But remember, in this world, choices have consequences. Are you prepared to face them?"

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for what was to come. "I am. I will do whatever it takes to protect those I care about."

Victoria's eyes softened, and she nodded in approval. "Good." Then, her deamour changed. "Riley also mentioned your unique approach with the newborns."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"He said you've been quite motherly towards them."

I blinked in surprise, not expecting Riley to have shared that information with Victoria. "Well, I've been gentle with them if that what you mean," I admitted, feeling a mix of pride and apprehension. "I just went for a soft approach to them. They're just trying to navigate this new world, after all."

Victoria's expression turned thoughtful, her fingers tapping against her chin. "It's an interesting strategy," she mused. "Most would opt for a more aggressive approach, seeing them as threats to be eliminated."

I shook my head, a determined glint in my eyes. "I just think that showing them kindness and understanding might lead to a different outcome. These newborns didn't choose to be vampires, and they're still trying to figure out how to control their instincts. If we can guide them and help them find a way to coexist peacefully, maybe we can prevent unnecessary bloodshed."