18. LENORE

THE KHOTLERS' FAMILY MANSION WAS ALIVE WITH THE hum of excitement and the occasional burst of laughter, bouncing off the high ceilings and echoing through the grand hall. Tonight was game night, as Rhona pointed out back at the forest, a cherished tradition in my new vampire family, and the game of choice was Pictionary. No fangs, no gothic imagery, just pure, unadulterated fun.

As I walked into the drawing room, the warm light from the chandeliers played off the rich, dark wood of the furniture, giving the space a cozy yet elegant feel. The room was dominated by a large fireplace, its flickering flames casting a welcoming glow. An enormous whiteboard had been set up on an easel, and the coffee table was strewn with markers, erasers, and a stack of cards bearing the game's prompts.

Gabriel and Helena were arranging the furniture, making sure everyone would have a clear view of the board. Helena, her blonde hair cascading over her shoulders, caught my eye and smiled. "Violet, come join us! We're about to start."

I felt a flutter of nerves and excitement as I took my place beside her. The teams were already divided: girls against boys, a setup that had apparently been in place for centuries. Gabriel, with his effortless charm, winked at us as he joined the other side with Joseph and Simon. Rhona and Alana exchanged a determined look, while Ethan bounced on his toes, eager to begin.

"Okay, everyone knows the rules," Helena announced, her voice commanding attention. "We have one minute to draw and guess the word on the card. No letters, no numbers, and definitely no cheating." She gave Joseph a pointed look, which he returned with an exaggerated expression of innocence.

"I never cheat," Joseph retorted, glancing at me. "She just thinks I do."

"I know you cheat," Helena laughed, setting the tone for a night of friendly competition.

The game began with Alana stepping up to the board. She drew a card, glanced at it, and immediately set to work. Her strokes were quick and sure, and soon we were shouting out guesses.

"Tree!" Rhona called out.

"Forest!" I added, but Alana shook her head vigorously and drew a couple of squares at the bottom.

"Christmas!" Helena shouted, and Alana beamed, nodding enthusiastically. The girls cheered, and the boys groaned good-naturedly.

Next up was Simon. He drew a card, gave a dramatic sigh, and started to draw what looked like an abstract mess of lines. Gabriel and Joseph squinted, trying to make sense of it.

"Is it... a maze?" Gabriel guessed. "Fog?"

"Spider web!" Ethan suggested, his young face scrunched in concentration.

Simon shook his head, erasing furiously before starting again. Finally, Joseph shouted, "Tornado!" and Simon threw up his hands in triumph. The boys whooped and high-fived.

As the game continued, the room filled with laughter and playful teasing. Rhona's turn had us in stitches as she tried to convey "elephant" with what looked more like a deformed horse, and Joseph's attempt at "ballet dancer" ended up looking like a stick figure doing karate.

When my turn came, I felt a rush of nervous energy. I drew a card and tried to keep my face neutral as I read the word: "rollercoaster." Taking a deep breath, I started drawing the tracks, the loops, and the little cars with stick-figure passengers.

"Train!" Helena guessed. "Racing cars!"

"No, it's a rollercoaster!" Alana shouted and the the girls erupted in cheers.

"Well done, Violet!" Rhona exclaimed, giving me a high-five. I felt a surge of pride and belonging.

As the night wore on, the competition grew fiercer, but the laughter never stopped. Gabriel's exaggerated charades while drawing "tap-dancing" had us all in tears, and Alana's artistic masterpiece of "hula hoop" was met with raucous applause. Even Ethan, who was often quiet, came alive with excitement, his guesses and drawings adding to the lively atmosphere.