26. VAMPIRE MAXIMA

AS I AWAKENED, MY EYES FLUTTERED OPEN, ONLY TO BE momentarily dazzled by a radiant light that bathed the ceiling in its brilliance. It couldn't possibly be the gym, for the lights were switched off. Gradually, I shifted my gaze towards the left, and what I beheld was nothing short of awe-inspiring. A grand tapestry of paintings and gothic writings adorned the wall, creating an atmosphere of enchantment. Did my home possess such a magnificent display? I struggled to recollect. Then, my eyes wandered to the right, and there, before me, lay a breathtaking vista of the morning sky, framed by a lush canopy of trees that enveloped the earth.

This was not my sanctuary. Panic surged through me as I desperately tried to piece together the puzzle of my whereabouts and how I had arrived in this bewildering place.

I strained my mind to recall the events leading up to my blackout. I was at Forks High School. I was engaged in a fierce battle against Gavin and Dina. Ayla had been taken hostage by them, used as a lure. They were true werewolves, Children of the Moon, and Gavin and Dina were determined to end my life. Echoing voices called out to me, and a sharp sting emanated from my wrist.

I remembered the pain of the werewolf's teeth piercing my skin, the searing sensation that shot through my veins. The last thing I remembered was collapsing to the ground, my vision fading into darkness.

And to think, I had believed the transformation into a vampire was the epitome of agony.

"Violet?" A soft, feminine voice gently called out to me.

I blinked, struggling to focus on the source of the voice.

"Violet?" A smooth, masculine voice followed suit.

Blinking again, my eyes gradually adjusted to the light. As I looked up, my heart swelled with a mix of confusion and relief. There, before me, stood Carlisle and Helena, their warm smiles washing over me. It suddenly dawned on me that I knew them.

But why were they here? How had they found me in this unfamiliar place that seemed so far from the sanctuary I had hoped for? Questions flooded my mind, threatening to overwhelm me once again.

I rose from the long table, noticing the white cloth that covered it. My eyes scanned the room, taking in the intricate details of the decor. It was like nothing I had ever seen before.

"Where am I?" I inquired, my voice trembling with confusion and fear.

"You're in my living room," Carlisle responded, his voice calm and reassuring. "In my family's house."

"How long was I out?" I asked, my mind racing with questions and concerns.

"Two days," Helena chimed in, her voice soft and gentle. "The power you demonstrated that night must have made you exhausted and collapsed."

As I processed this information, my thoughts turned to the school. "So, the school..." I trailed off, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Don't worry," Carlisle reassured me. "The school still stands. A few broken windows but it still stands."

I breathed a sigh of relief, grateful that my old school was still intact. But then, I remembered Ayla. "What about her?" I asked, my voice trembling with worry.

"She's fine," Carlisle replied. "She's here. She wanted to see if you're alright before she goes."

I couldn't believe it. Ayla was here, with me. And not only that, but Carlisle and Helena knew about her too. "Do you all know about her?" I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"Yes," Helena replied, her golden eyes sparkling with excitement. "She told us everything. I can't believe she is a werewolf... Sorry, Child of the Moon. I mean, Gabriel did tell me but..."