5. DARK CLOAKS

THREE MONTHS LATER

SEATTLE UNDER SIEGE - DEATH TOLL RISES AGAIN.

I grabbed the newspaper that had just been refilled by the paperboy. Fortunately for him, he was long gone by now.

Oh great. Riley was going to lose it when he saw this. Someone else was going to get an earful. When I meant earful, I meant getting their limps ripped off.

Glancing at the date on the paper, I saw it was June 11th. It was strange how time seemed to slip away so fast, even for a vampire. I unfolded the paper and scanned the headlines, my eyes widening in shock as I read the front page story. Humans would think it was gang related violence and that was why the crime rate was getting higher by the minute.

But in reality, it was the newborns doing a real crappy job of disposing the evidence.

I found Bree standing in the shadow behind the corner of a shabby threestory building, trying to be inconspicuous while waiting for someone, meaning me, to make a decision. Not wanting to meet anyone's eyes, Bree stared at the wall beside her instead.

Kristie and Jen did inform him about my sudden new ability, the mysterious purple glow that came out of me when they were attacking Bree and I. And of course, he informed the given information to Victoria, who was very surprised by my additional power alongside being good at hiding. I was starting to feel pretty good about my gift, until Riley gave me a job.

He had sent me to some babysitting duty while the newborns were on their hunt.

The ground level of the structure housed a record store that had long been out of business; the windows, damaged by weather or street disturbances, were covered with plywood. Above it were vacant apartments, devoid of the usual sounds of slumbering inhabitants. It came as no surprise to me that there were no signs of human presence - the place appeared as though it could crumble with a strong gust of wind. The buildings across the dim, narrow street were equally dilapidated.

This was the typical sight for a night out in the city.

Babysitting the newborns was something I despised, and tonight had only confirmed my disdain. Riley had assigned me to accompany two utterly useless vampires: Kevin and Casey.

As much as I loathed Raoul, these two were incredibly bothersome. According to what I had heard, Kevin was once a member of Raoul's human gang and was recruited by Riley upon Raoul's recommendation. Riley sought him out and asked if he wanted to join Raoul, to which he agreed. Casey, on the other hand, had joined shortly after working with Raoul in his gang. When Raoul became a part of the Seattle newborn army, he suggested to Riley that they recruit Casey, along with Kevin. Casey had since become a minion in Raoul's army.

Both Kevin and Casey bore a striking resemblance to each other, with their pale complexions and red eyes, the only noticeable difference being their hair. Kevin had jet-black hair, while Casey's hair were blonde. Despite their physical similarities, their personalities were the exact same. They were both stupid. And dangerous. And right now, mostly stupid.

Riley never seemed to care who he sent out in hunting groups. Or particularly bugged when sending out the wrong people together meant fewer people coming home. Tonight I was stuck with Kevin, Casey, Diego and Bree.

Instead of picking a direction for our hunt, suddenly Kevin and Casey were in the middle of an argument over whose favorite superhero would be a better hunter. Casey was demonstrating his case for Spider-Man now, skittering up the brick wall of the alley while humming the cartoon theme song. I sighed in frustration. Were we ever going to hunt?

I planned to give Riley a beat for this.

As I glanced to my left, a sudden flicker of movement caught my attention. It was Diego, and his frustration mirrored my own. We had both been turned into vampires at the tender age of seventeen, and Diego had shared his tragic human life story with me.