Chapter 1

Feeling terrified as her dad beats her and her mom like a madman or a gorilla, Stef hides under their Christmas tree that she and her mom decorated together. Hearing her mom shout her name, Stef looks up at her and begins to crawl out just before their tree falls on top of her. Letting out a cry from the glass ornaments crash and smash on top and around her, Stef whimpers.

"Let me help our daughter, please!" Her mom begs Stef's dad, "She's in a ton of pain, Doug."

Letting out a grunt, Doug leaves the room as her mom immediately crawls over to her, while having a few bruising ribs.

Once Stef is out, her mom picks up a Christmas card and hides it in her sweater pocket.

Holding her tiny daughter to her, Maddie Buckley-Kendall carefully picks out the glass from her little four-year-old daughter's hair and clothing. Once cleaned up, Maddie gently encourages Stef to sit on the couch. Slowly cleaning up the glass shards, Maddie then hears the doorbell and banging on the door. Going around the glass shards from the ornaments, Maddie answers the door to see the police. Living in Boston, it's difficult to be a mom, a wife and a nurse for Maddie.

Upon seeing the police, Maddie shyly greets them that Christmas Eve.

"Hello, Mrs. Buckley-Kendall." The man greets in return to Maddie's, "We received lots of noise complaints and threats to the neighbourhood. Is Mr. Kendall home as well?"

"I apologize officer. Our tree fell and myself and our daughter got cut up." Maddie confesses secretly, "Doug should be back soon."

"So, it's only you and your daughter right now?"

"Yes."

"May I see her to make sure everything is okay?"

"You may. Just one minute." Leaving the door open, the officer sees the damage from the tree just before Maddie returns with Stef.

"Hello, what's your name?" The officer asks Stef as he kneels door on the patio.

"Stef." Stef answers nervously.

"Were you hurt when the tree fell?"

"Mhm."

"May I take a look?" Watching Stef look up at Maddie fearfully, Maddie nods in encouragement. Watching Stef limp to turn around, the officer sees the drying blood on Stef's back and small glass shards wounds on her legs and arms, "We need to take you both to the hospital to make sure there won't be infections. I can drive you both there, okay?"

"I," Maddie starts but the officer shakes his head.

"It's needed, Mrs. Buckley-Kendall." Hearing Maddie sigh, and Stef starts to panic Maddie ends up helping Stef into her boots and coat. Doing the same, Maddie then grabs her purse and closes the door and locks it.

Knowing Doug will be pissed at them, Maddie and Stef climb into the back of the police cruiser before the car starts to drive away.

"Are you both being abused by Mr. Kendall?" The officer asks along the drive.

"What?" Maddie gasps as Stef flinches.

"Once you and Stef get checked out, I can drive you both to the airport or rent a car location?"

"How?"

"I can also lend you money for a flight if it's needed, or pay for a rental car?"

"Why?" Stef asks before Maddie could reply.

"My dad used to abuse me, and it took everything my mom and I had to fight our way out." The officer explains, "I know the signs. Do you have a phone, Mrs. Buckley-Kendall?"