Chapter 3

In the kitchen, Bobby is cooking while Maddie and Stef are the taste testers, so they are sitting on the stools in front of him.

"Why do you call Uncle Evan, Buck?" Stef asks curiously.

"Well, most of us are chosen nicknames for work, or they pick them." Bobby explains, "My name is Robert, but I chose Bobby since I moved to L.A."

"Just like mommy's nickname is Maddie." Stef concludes.

"Exactly."

"I like Buck better." Stef states, "It sounds more fun."

"It is, isn't it?" Maddie agrees.

"Hey." Buck greets climbing up the stairs and arrives to the kitchen area.

"Hi, Uncle Buck." Stef smiles seeing him.

"Hey Stef, you both learned my nickname?"

"Yep!" Maddie chuckles joining in.

As the small group of four talk, Bobby makes sure he doesn't overstep or ask for deep information.

"Hey guys." A lady greets coming up the stairs as Bobby dishes out breakfast for them, "What smells so good?"

"Breakfast for our visitors." Bobby admits with a smile before letting Maddie carry their breakfast to the table, "I made extra pancakes just in case anyone wants one."

"I could eat one." The lady confesses gently noticing Maddie's and Stef's flinches at all loud commotions.

Accepting her plate that Buck passes her, Buck takes the lead and sits down next to his niece with his own breakfast. As Bobby sits down next to Maddie, the lady sits down across from them.

"Hello ladies, my name is Hen." Hen smiles in greeting to their guests.

"Hello, my name is Maddie. This is my daughter, Stef." Maddie returns shyly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. I'm a trained paramedic and firefighter, with my best friend Chimney." Hen states happily.

"At least when someone gets hurt, you both are there to help. Same goes for my brother, and the rest of the team."

"Who's your brother?" Hen asks, "Only if it's okay to ask."

"Oh, it's Buck. I'm his older sister." Maddie clears up.

"At least you're not a wild one, eh?" Hen jokes.

"Ha, ha." Buck mocks teasingly, "She's got the good genes, I admit. Maddie was always there for me when we were growing up."

"Aww, that's so sweet." Bobby smiles, "How are you both liking it here in L.A., so far?"

"Uhm, it's okay. We haven't been here long." Maddie sighs, "We just got here yesterday morning."

"Would you both like to join us today or stay here at the station?" Bobby offers.

"May we do the non-serious calls and come out with you? I just want to make sure Stef won't get scared." Maddie compromises.

"Sure. That shouldn't be an issue." He nods in agreement, "On the serious calls, feel free to play video games and watch TV."

"Thank you, Bobby." Maddie thanks before noticing they have finished eating, and Stef is starting to nod off at the table while Buck is washing their dishes for them.

***

Skipping out on the first few calls so she and Stef can nap on the couch in the living room, Stef is curled up against her and resting on her side, with her head on Maddie's chest.