Chapter 14

The next few days of Stef's admitted hospital stay is coming to an end. Which means, so is the decision of Stef's future. Everlyn is currently approaching Stef's room, where Everlyn gave the permission of Maddie's stay in Stef's room. Stef is always refusing to Maddie's leaving even if it's only to get food, so Everlyn is always going to get the food or having another worker to get it for them.

Knocking on Stef's opened door, Everlyn spots Stef sleeping while holding Maddie's hand with both of her's. Walking in once seeing Maddie is awake, so is her co-workers that pull the nightshift when Everlyn isn't there. Dismissing her co-workers, Everlyn and Madison walks over so they can discharge Stef. After waking up her daughter, Maddie feels Stef's panic for a moment as she calms Stef to drag her out of her dream world. Once awake, Stef allows Madison to unhook her from the machines and unhooks Stef's IV.

Once free from the machines and IV, Stef moves in her large hospital gown and carefully climbs into Maddie's arms and cuddles into her mom. Sitting down on the bed, Everlyn sighs as Madison leaves the room and closes the door.

"How are you both feeling?" Everlyn asks softly concerned about them healing.

"I'm okay." Stef admits, "Tired and worn out."

"I'm the same way." Maddie explains.

"Okay, I do have one question for you both and a request for you both."

"What would they be?" Maddie questions while Stef yawns as she snuggles and refuses to leave Maddie's lap and weak embrace. It's so they don't hurt each other.

"What are your thoughts about therapy?" Everlyn wonders gently.

"I'm open to it, unlike my parents." Maddie states calmly, "I will take Stef if approved. I know she and I need it."

"I will approve for Stef to stay with you, if you take her for therapy. Plus, after a year; as long as she stays in therapy and everything goes well – Children's Services will not keep visiting and our time together will end." Everlyn smiles.

"So, you will be popping in and reviewing Stef's time in therapy for a year?"

"Yes. Now, I will warn you the visits will not be scheduled with you. They will need to be in the moment."

"What if Stef is away for a sleepover or something?" Maddie questions in confusion.

"I will swing by during the week. Weekends are my off days." Everlyn compromises.

"That I can agree to." Maddie agrees softly.

"Great!" Everlyn smiles, "There is paperwork I need for you to sign and give your home address. Other than that, she can go home with you today." Watching Maddie smile in relief brings Everlyn joy. She really hates to break up good homes, and it brings her joy to bring them back together.

After signing the paperwork and writing down their home address, Stef leaves to use the connected washroom and drags in her bag to get changed once the doctor allows her to, and Maddie signs Stef's discharged papers with Everlyn's guidance.

Once all finished with the papers, Maddie allows her tears to fall in relief. Pulling out her new phone after Buck was able to transfer her contacts and number over; they ended up tossing the waterlog phone away with a broken a screen.

Calling Buck, Maddie waits for her brother to pick up the phone.

"Maddie?" Buck answers on the second ring, "Is everything okay?"

"We are all good here, Buck." Maddie replies with a sniffle.

"Please tell me you have good news?" Buck begs softly.