Chapter 9

clock in worry, Stef earns her strict teacher's attention.

"Have somewhere better to be, Stef?" Mr. Klarson asks in a snap tone of voice. Jumping, Stef immediately looks up in fear while shaking her head, no.

"Good. Now do your work." He snarls.

"I'm all finished, sir." Stef whispers in a tiny, scared tone.

"Yeah right, just do it!" He growls furiously this time.

"She is done, Mr. Klarson." A student next to Stef points out, "She even showed her work!" He smiles in excitement.

"Know-it-all." A girl's voice comments from behind them, but the male student doesn't care. He knows to ignore the hateful and ignorant students in his class. Afterall, he has no friends and is different than the others, he's mentally disabled and Mr. Klarson hates it. His foster parents are working to get him out of the class and into the other class, but it's full.

"I like 'know-it-alls'. They are nicer than you, Mariah." He fires back with his back to her. Hearing Mr. Klarson approach them, he sends Stef and the unknown male student into the hall.

Once in the hall, Stef jumps as Mr. Klarson closes the door roughly, but not quite a slam.

"My name is Dan." Dan introduces himself with a grin, "Mr. Klarson hates know-it-alls and I added in there as well."

"I'm Stef." Stef nods shyly, "Why does he hate me? I'm new."

"I have no idea." Dan admits, "He hates me, because I'm mentally disabled."

"My mom taught me to read, write and speak all by herself. My dad hates us." Stef whispers nervously.

"I'm sorry. But, at least you have a good mom." Dan shrugs.

"True. Many people in our class hates me, don't they?"

"Yes. I believe so. I'm on your side though."

"Thank you, Dan." Stef smiles a small smile before sitting down with Dan next to her.

***

At first recess, Stef is slipping on her winter boots, coat, toque and gloves before following Dan outside. When outside, Stef follows Dan to the frozen grass where Stef spots Harry and Denny waiting at the fence. Gently encouraging Dan to come with her, they arrive a few feet away from the two boys.

"Harry! Denny!" Stef greets jogging over to them with Dan hot on her heels.

"Stef!" Denny calls out with a smile before giving her a gentle hug, "Who is this?"

"Hi, my name is Dan. I'm in Stef's class." Dan smiles as Harry gives Stef a hug as well.

"It's nice to meet you, Dan. My name is Denny, and this is my best friend, Harry."

"Hello, Dan." Harry smiles, "It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you as well, Harry." Dan returns kindly.

"Would you and Stef like to play with us?"

"I'd love too!" Dan expresses excitedly.

"Stef? How about you?" Denny wonders looking at the timid girl in front to them.

"Sure, what will we be playing?" Stef smiles nervously.

"The swings. No one plays on them during the winter because it's cold." Harry explains. Looking at the deserted swings, Dan and Stef jogs over to them, while Harry and Denny race by them.

***

By lunch hour, Dan pushes his desk next to Stef's and pulls out his lunch while Stef does the same. As they eat together, the lunch monitors walk in together, and it turns out to be Denny and Harry to Stef's surprise. After they are finished eating and they are dismissed to go outside, Stef smiles as Harry walks over to her.