Chapter 13

Getting discharged three days later, Maddie is dressed in jogging pants, t-shirt and hoodie while with the help of Athena. Bobby and Buck are waiting in the waiting room for them and waiting for the results from Children's Services. Once ready to leave her hospital room, Athena leads the way to the waiting room. Spotting the worker on Stef's case waiting, Maddie walks over and frowns.

"Follow me, Maddie." The worker suggests.

"What about my brother and best friends that are family to me? Could they come?" Maddie asks softly.

"I'm sorry but no. I was told to only get you."

"It's okay, Maddie." Buck smiles softly, "You got this, and you are safe."

"We will be right here." Bobby smiles gently as well.

"We're staying here for your return." Athena encourages.

"Okay. Thank you." Maddie thanks before following the worker.

Arriving to the children's large waiting room, Maddie looks around confused.

"Have a seat, Maddie." A woman smiles nervously in greeting, "I'm Everlyn, and in charge of your daughter's case."

"Hello." Maddie sits down after her weak greeting.

Going through Maddie's background history and hospital records over the years with Doug, and when Stef was born Maddie leaves nothing a secret and in the open for Stef's safety.

"Are you willing to give Stef up?" Everlyn wonders.

"If I was unfit, which I'm not, I would for her safety and a better future." Maddie frowns deeply as the lady in front of her writes something down.

"According to the police statements and Athena Grant's off-duty statements from the kidnapping – they all state that Doug Kendall was the one who planned the full thing, is this correct?"

"Yes. Would you like me to do a lie detector test for you, if this would be easier?" Maddie answers.

"It's no need. I already knew my decision when you walked in. I'm just wanting to see your position."

"Okay." Maddie's brown eyes tear up.

"Stef's doctor Madison does not want me to be too hasty or straight forward with my decision."

"She keeps glaring at me and it puts me on edge." Maddie admits softly.

"I know. It's her job." Everlyn reveals, "She is a very kind woman though. At least to the kids."

"That's good at least. Was she good with Stef?"

"She was yes, when I was in the room. Stef kept screaming and crying until she lost her voice. In turn, Stef would bite her and the nurses. I stayed with her though and left after visiting hours."

"It's so sorry, Missus." Maddie apologizes.

"It was in self defence, which I understand. She's terrified. Which brings me to this test, to see Stef's reaction to seeing you. Everything is set up for recording and hearing the encounter."

"You're going to allow me to see my daughter?" Maddie gasps.

"Yes. Why, you thought the decision was made about Stef's placement?"

"Yes, I thought you are taking Stef away from me."

"Oh no, this is the final test to find out if Stef will be in safe hands." Everlyn explains, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding."

"It's okay. Has Doctor Madison given any treatments in the last three days to Stef?"

"She's been trying, but Stef is still refusing."