Chapter 7

The next day, Buck parks the jeep in the parking lot for the bank that he banks with, before he, Maddie and Stef heads over to the school Stef wants to go to. It's the same one Harry Grant goes to and between the dispatch centre and 118 fire station. It's not even a twenty-minute drive away or a fifteen-minute drive from their potential apartment building they want to apply for.

After opening a bank account with help from Buck, and depositing money that Buck withdrew to help Maddie to buy a phone and supplies for Stef for school; Maddie ended up hugging Buck in thankfulness.

Pulling up to the school a little after nine in the morning, Maddie holds Stef's hand while Buck walks next to Stef for safety and encouragement. Walking into the silent school, Buck accidentally bumps into his frozen niece and sister. Looking around them, Buck spots a security guard and metal detector system.

"Good morning, guys." Buck greets the two men, "My sister and I are looking to enroll my niece today."

"Oh, what a lucky day for her." One of the men smiles, "Would you like to teach the little one what to do?"

"Sure." Buck smiles back before removing anything that has metal off before stepping through the large arch. Letting Maddie go next with Stef copying, the men smile together.

"Great job, ladies." The other man comments, "It will become something like a drill and muscle memory."

"Thank you for teaching us." Maddie thanks as the men approve them to go to the office.

"It's our pleasure." The first man that spoke to Buck answers.

Walking together with their things back on and Maddie's purse has been looked through as part of protocol, Buck kept an eye that nothing was taken.

Arriving to the office in record time before the appointment, Maddie gets the form for enrollment and medical records pulled out. Filling out the form quickly, it's like the one she 'helped' their mom to fill out for Buck, when she was a pre-teen.

Once completed, Buck goes to hand it in for Maddie, when Maddie's and Stef's names are called. Looking up together, Maddie and Stef get up and holds hands before Stef stops everyone.

"Come on, Uncle Buck. Mommy and I want you to come in also." Stef encourages, "Right, mommy?"

"Yes, you are right." Maddie instantly smiles, "Would that be okay with you, Principal Reynolds?"

"Sure. Come on in, Mister Buck?" Reynolds smiles.

"It's a nickname. Our last name is Buckley, and Maddie here is my sister." Buck speaks up before following them to Reynolds' office.

"So, Stef here is your niece?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, all of you are a cute little family." Reynolds compliments them, which Maddie and Stef blushes and Buck grins happily. As the small family get permission to sit down on the two chairs, Maddie lifts Stef onto her lap, and Reynolds closes the door and follows them by sitting down in his seat, "Has Stef ever gone to school before?"

"No. Sadly, her father is abusive and refused us to travel or leave the house in Boston." Maddie confesses sadly, "I tried to get us out long before Stef was born, but he threatened our lives or find a way to kill Buck or our parents."

"Have you spoken about this to the police here?"

"We have to Athena Grant." Buck states calmly.

"I know who she is." Reynolds smiles sadly, "I'm so incredibly sorry you both have gone through this. I see you have also listed Buck as next of kin?"