Chapter 6

After the earthquake ends, Maddie continues to hold Stef before Josh looks sadly at them.

"How, how strong was it?" Maddie stutters in shock as she looks at him.

"It was a 7.1." Josh confesses looking at his phone as he looks it up, "There will be aftershocks, and panic."

"So, it wasn't the 'Big One', that everyone is predicting?"

"No, thankfully." Josh sighs, "Ready to be thrown into the fire?"

"Only if the wifi is still up a bit for Stef."

"It is. Let's help save lives."

"Okay." Crawling out with Stef following, Josh picks up the forgotten iPad and headphone for Stef. Just before getting thrown into the fire, Josh gets them drinks; two coffees and a bottle of apple juice before bringing them over. Once the chairs are back in place for not only them but everyone, Maddie and Josh dives into work while Stef places the headphones on along with having the movie back in front of her and playing.

Checking in on Stef between calls, Maddie smiles knowing Stef is still shaken up but is calmer than she was. As for herself, Maddie is now calm than she was, but still shaken.

As the crisis comes to an end but after her shift and people slowly rotate out, Maddie, Stef and Josh stays back to not only report to Sue, but also to make sure someone takes over their desks. Once the two people arrive and settle in, the three of them head over to Sue office.

"How did Maddie do for training today, Josh?" Sue asks her second-in-command here at dispatch.

"Maddie caught up quickly and just after the earthquake, she no longer needed help. She's a keeper and is a quick study." Josh confesses.

"Wow, no one has ever got that much praise before from Josh." Sue smiles, "Welcome to the family and team, Maddie and Stef."

"Thank you for having us today, despite the earthquake." Maddie thanks them.

"The pleasure is ours." Sue smiles happily, "Are you both okay?"

"We experienced our first earthquake and cannot wait for a regular shift – hopefully."

"True." Josh chuckles, "Hopefully the clean up and the most dangerous emergencies will be over for work tomorrow."

"Agreed." Sue agrees, "Thank you both for taking the calls as champs, and Stef," Stef looks up at her mom's boss, "You took today on like a warrior. Thank you."

Watching Stef blush and nod shyly, she releases Maddie's hand before moving closer to Sue. Gently giving her a hug, Maddie watches her daughter step out of her shell for the moment.

"Thank you for giving mommy a chance." Stef speaks softly while Sue hugs her back.

"I'm glad I did, Stef. Both of you are warriors and truly amazing fighters. You both are also incredibly brave." Sue smiles with tears in her eyes, "Would you like me to call your brother, Maddie?"

"Yes please." Maddie nods before watching Josh and Stef interact by talking about the Disney movies she watched during the shift.

Suddenly feeling the building shake from a minor aftershock, Stef immediately dives into Maddie's arms in fear. Holding onto the wall for support, Maddie notices Josh doing the same, while Sue holds onto her desk. By the time the aftershock ends, Stef stays in her mom's arms for reassurance and safety.

"It's over now, that was just another aftershock." Maddie whispers to Stef who nods her head in response.

***