Chapter 5

Arriving to her interview for becoming a 9-1-1 dispatcher, Maddie walks in with Stef holding her hand shyly. The one who gave Buck a call, told them they are allowed to bring Stef inside. Waving at Buck from the front doors, he waves back before heading to the 118 firehouse. He knows to also call dispatch to check in on them.

Telling the front desk security guard that she is a newcomer, the man smiles before standing up to walk them to the elevator.

"Sue will want to meet you directly before Josh gives the tour. That is why you were asked to arrive early." The guard admits as he turns the key before pressing the third-floor button, "Have a good training session and meeting. Good luck ladies."

Saying their thanks, Maddie and Stef watches the doors slide shut, before the elevator begins to rise to the third floor. Arriving there, Maddie and Stef holds hands as they step off the elevator and walk down the hallway. Spotting a lady appear at the end of the hallway, the lady gives them a friendly smile.

"Hello ladies, my name is Sue and I'm the chief 9-1-1 dispatcher and the newest owner." Sue introduces herself.

"Hello, I'm Maddie and this is my daughter, Stef." Maddie replies softly, "I hope you weren't waiting long for our arrival."

"Not at all. It's a pleasure to meet you both. Follow me to my office." Sue smiles at them before leading the way to her office. Once the three of them are inside and Sue closes the door, Sue sits down first, "Have a seat." Sitting down together, Stef immediately climbs onto Maddie's lap before Sue pulls out Maddie's resume that she and Buck filled out together.

"So, I tried to reach out to your references listed, Athena Grant, one of your supervisors from the hospital you worked at in Boston, and Robert Nash. Athena works here in L.A., as a police sergeant, and Robert Nash works here in L.A., as the chief of his shift at firehouse 118. Both Athena and Robert mentioned you and Stef have dark pasts from your lives in Boston; and are trying to settle and regroup here in L.A. Your previous supervisor at the hospital mentioned you were a nurse and happy you left him with Stef." Sue reveals gently, "May I ask about who 'he' is?"

"Dad was mean all the time and hurt us." Stef speaks up as Maddie gathers her thoughts.

"We were abused and left just before Christmas for a new beginning here with my brother Buck." Maddie confesses.

"Are you both in hiding then?" Sue wonders sadly.

"Yes." Maddie nods shyly.

"Okay. So, I will need to know your shirt size and I had your I.D. made up, but I just needed to know the truth and have a better understanding. All 9-1-1 dispatchers start off with red coloured shirts so others can know they are in training. Then, when the probation period is over, the shirt changes to blue. I truly believe you will find a temporary if not full time, family here, Maddie. And, Stef and Maddie, we are all humans, so don't both call us over with last names. Just first names please."

"Are you sure? Doug wouldn't allow us." Maddie double checks, "Or very rarely allowed Stef to speak even as a baby."

"I'm positive. How about you just start by calling Josh and I by our given names? Then you both can slowly expand?" Sue offers.

"Okay, I can try." Maddie nods in respect.

"So, your name is Sue?" Stef asks softly.

"Yes, it is. Well done remembering, Stef." Sue smiles.

"Thank you. And the man you would like us to meet is, Josh?"

"Yep. Great work!" Sue grin encouragingly, "Would you like me to get Josh, and he can ease you into the ropes while Stef can do activities quietly next to you?"