Chapter 15

Walking into the dispatch center with Stef, Maddie and her silent daughter waves at the front desk manager, who unlocks the elevator for Maddie who has her little angel in her arms – Stef only allows Maddie and on occasion Buck to touch and hold her. It has been a week since their kidnapping and Doug's death and that evening is Stef's first therapy session alone with the therapist.

Arriving to the third floor, Maddie carries Stef inside the call center, where Josh, Sue and Maddie's co-workers applauds them with little well gifts on the table. Spotting a 'Welcome Back' sign hanging up, Maddie smiles at them before looking at her little girl who wraps her tiny arms around Maddie's neck before kissing Maddie's still bruised cheek lightly.

"Welcome back, mommy." Stef whispers against Maddie's cheek.

"Thank you, honey." Maddie grins before turning her head slightly to kiss Stef's tiny nose.

Pulling back a little, Maddie spots a tiny shy smile on Stef's face.

"Welcome back, ladies." Josh smiles and greets softly as the co-workers' wave at Maddie before going to start their work shift.

"Thank you, Josh." Maddie thanks as Stef's shy smile slowly disappears while she hides away nervously.

"If Stef would like a pair of headphones if or when Sue lends her the tablet, let me know." Josh offers.

"That would be great, thank you."

"Would you like me to show you back to Sue's office?"

"Sure." Maddie accepts even though she knows the way. It's only to be polite and talk to her friends more.

Arriving to Sue's office, Josh knocks on the door before they enter with permission.

"Come on in, Josh and close the door, please." Sue smiles before allowing Maddie to sit down with Stef, "Welcome back Maddie and Stef." Sue's smile drops slight watching Stef shift as she whimpers softly.

"Thank you, Sue." Maddie thanks weakly.

"I'm just thankful that both of you are okay, and that the ex is out of the picture." Sue admits, "I knew you both were fighters before, but to beat the monster is a great deal. If at any point you need a break, but tell Josh or stop answering the calls and come and get me here in the office."

"Okay, I think I can do that." Maddie agrees softly.

"Now, I will allow Stef to come in with you until she's ready to return to school. I will bring in my tablet and Josh has headphones for her that she can use." Sue smiles shyly, "She is have her own chair to sit in until she's ready."

Hearing about the plans for her stay, Stef sniffles and hugs Maddie tighter in a brief worry.

"Stef may stay at your side, Maddie. That will not be an issue."

"Thank her please." Stef whispers in a trembling voice. Repeating Stef's thanks, Sue looks at the back of Stef's head.

"Anything you need, Stef, just bring your mom and we will get it sorted out."

***

Arriving to her desk with Stef walking next to her, Maddie pulls out Stef's chair while she carefully holds the tablet and headphones. Once seated and Maddie taps on Disney Plus, Stef gently places the headphones on while Maddie sets their bags at their feet. Once settled, and Stef is content, Maddie hooks up her headset before waking up the computer. Before clicking on the next call, the computers start acting up. Looking at the tablet, it's normal and Stef looks up confused from seeing the glitch.

"Mommy?" Stef whispers as she removes her headphones to hear Maddie.

"We're okay." Maddie promises as Josh runs to get Sue, "It's just the computers."