Chapter || 11

Back at the manor we are greeted by the entirety of the household. Draco's parents envelop him immediately and my father stands at the front of it all. He watches me closely as I near him. He raise his chin slowly before bringing the tip of his wand to mine.

"It is done?" He asks with a stoic expression.

"It has been done." I say.

His face breaks out into a sharp smile before releasing his wand from my chin. I release a breath as he flourishes his arm.

"My friends, we have gained a small victory in the grand war." He bellows. "Come it is time to celebrate."

He takes his hand and places it on my shoulder. His sharp nails dig into my exposed skin as we are lead inside. The elves prepare a special meal for us. I sit on my father's left and Draco's eyes flick to me every once in a while from down the table. We eat in hushed discussions between shoulder partners.

"Verena." My father says to me lowly. "You have done well today."

"Thank you father." I say, a small warmth blooming in my chest.

"I would like to make a small toast to our youngest members who have proved themselves the most capable of all of you today," he says to the table. "Our dear Draco and my daughter Verena have made history today."

Everyone is silent as they raise their glasses and drink to us. Draco and I watch one another carefully before drinking the wine from our cups.

I drain my glass and resist the urge to ask for another or perhaps the entire bottle. My father flourishes his hand and the food and drinks disappear. We are dismissed and I stand quickly and make my way to my rooms.

As I reach my door I feel a hand on my shoulder. I tense before I see it is Draco. We enter my rooms quickly and I lock the door tightly before turning to him. His eyes are red from crying and deep purple bags form under them. I'm not sure how I didn't notice them before. Perhaps it's the dreary lighting of the manor.

He doesn't say a word as he sits as the foot of my bed. He wrings his hands together, scratching at his palm. I slowly sit beside him and take his hands in mine. I'm not sure why but it comforts me as well.

"I couldn't do it." He mutters carefully.

"I know." I say simply.

"If, if Snape wasn't there you would have had to-"

"He was." I say simply. "There's no point dwelling on the if."

"Right." He says. "Do you think he'll kill me now?"

"No." I say, squeezing his hands. "He won't. We got them in and Dumbledore is dead. That's all he cared about. We did our part."

We sit in silence for a long moment before I release his hands and place my hand on his shoulder instead. He leans into me lightly and we rest our shoulders together.

"Thank you." He says quietly.

"For what?" I ask, staring at my hands now in my lap.

"For helping me, taking the vow." He says. "I thought I could do it."

"Maybe Dumbledore was right when he said your heart wasn't in the curses." I say. "You're a good person, Draco. It's not a bad thing you didn't want to kill him."

"Perhaps it wouldn't be if we weren't our father's children." He says.

"Perhaps in another life." I say, laying my head on his shoulder.

He tenses but only for a moment before slowly resting his head atom mine. As soon as his head relaxes, his body follows suit. I watch his hands unclench, I feel his shoulders droop and his jaw unclench.

"You should get some rest." I say, lifting my head. "I'm sure my father will not slow his pace."

"Right." He says, standing and walking towards the doorway. "Goodnight Vera."

"Goodnight Draco." I say.

As he leaves his words flow through my mind. If we weren't our father's children where would we be? What side of this war would we be on? I'm not sure what I would be doing because there is no 'other life'. There is no use is pondering the if.