Chapter || 02

"Vee." Pansy hisses, kicking my boot. "Vee."

"What, Pansy?" I snap, my muscles tense.

"Jeese, chill out." Pansy sneers. "How was your summer?"

"Fine," I say dismissively.

"She's doing the thing again," Pansy says to Blaise and Draco.

"I'm not doing a thing." I seethe.

"It's a thing," Blaise says between bites of a chocolate frog. "You're a stone-cold bitch the first few weeks of school then you warm up and your fun."

"I'm not fun now?" I say.

"Brooding in the corner?" Pansy laughs. "No."

"Draco broods all the time and you all still call him fun," I argue.

"Because I am fun," Draco says, not tearing his eyes from his hands.

"Brooding." I point out and his eyes snap to mine. "Besides you make me sound like a frigid bitch."

"Fucking ice queen," Blaise notes and Pansy laughs in agreement. I see Draco's brows shoot up in agreement out of the corner of my eye.

"Fuck you guys," I say, fighting the grin on my lips as I place my head in my hands.

I cover my mouth with my sleeve to hide my grin. I haven't laughed all summer, constantly under the watch of my father. As I think of this I can feel him inching his way in my mind, and my laughter stops. I feel Draco shift beside me and I know he senses my demeanor. I bring my knees to my chest and force a small smile on my lips as I listen to Pansy and Blaise converse about random topics.

Suddenly the car fills with black smoke and Draco stands abruptly. I cough the black powder from my mouth as Pansy groans.

"What was that?" Draco asks. "Blaise?"

"Don't know," Blaise says, coughing.

"Calm down, it's probably some first years messing around." Pansy reasons. "Draco sit down. We'll be at Hogwarts soon."

Drago presses his lips together before sitting down, his mind visibly turning. His muscles twitch and his hands flex as he fidgets with his fingers.

"Hogwarts." Draco scoffs. "What a pathetic excuse for a school. I think I'd pitch myself off the Astronomy tower if I had to continue for another two years."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Pansy prods.

"Let's just say don't think you'll see me wasting my time in charms class next year." I give Draco a stern look as Blaise scoffs in laughter. "Amused Blaise? We'll see just who's laughing in the end."

"Whatever, Draco," I mutter, pulling a sketch pad from my satchel. "We'll be at Hogwarts soon. Try and make this ride somewhat bearable."

"With you, bearable exists only in death." Draco jabs and I roll my eyes and turn to my drawing.

I sketched Blaise and Pansy. In my drawing, Pansy smiles as Blaise shoves a chocolate frog in his mouth. I smile as the train lurches to a halt. We all stand and collect our bags except Draco. I give him a sideways glance which he returns with his usual glare.

"You three go on," Draco says simply. "I want to check something."

I look him up and down before following Pansy and Blaise from the train. We find Hagrid on the platform and I can't help but cast a backward glance at the train. Draco is impulsive and resentful, making him dangerously stupid. I debate turning back for him until he appears from the train with a smug expression. He walks past me without a second glance and I am left catching up practically jogging beside his long strides.