Chapter || 04

I make my way down the stairs silently the only thing on my feet being socks. I only brought heels, not a good choice for stealth. I pull my cardigan tighter around my torso, the night slip dress doing nothing for my shivering frame. As I enter the common room, I am faced with Draco coming down the stairs in a full black suit.

"Really?" We both say in unison.

"What?" I ask. "I'm not changing to check a damn cabinet."

I continue past him, continuing to cling the cardigan closer to me. It is quite the trek from the dungeons to the room of requirement. Draco's long striders don't help either. When we reach the wall the door appears in front of us slowly.

Draco opens the door and we slip inside quickly. When he shuts the door my stomach turns. The room has been made into a storage room, hiding many mysteries and trinkets as well as a ton of junk.

"Better get to looking," I say. "It is exactly like the one at Borgin and Burks."

"As far as we know," Draco mutters before making his way down a row of garbage.

After a while, I hear Draco's click of his dress shoes stop. And his voice beckons to me from the other end of the room. While making my way over to him my foot catches on something, a mirror. A rather large mirror. The corner of the fabric covering it droops, revealing a corner of the mirror. I see a flash of blonde hair and I move to peer in the mirror, my hand hovering to rip the sheet from its face.

"Verena, come on." Draco barks.

I tear myself away from the mirror and join Draco at the cabinet. It is exactly like the one at Borgin and Burks. Another familiar prospect, Draco runs his long fingers along the etchings and this time I note the silver ring adorning one. He studies it for a moment as I watch him.

"Might as well test it first off," I say placing a simple hairpin in the wardrobe.

Draco says the incantation, holding up his wand and we wait a few moments before he opens the door and the hairpin is still there untouched.

"Well guess we better figure out what's wrong with it," I say, circling the cabinet.

We stay up until dawn trying to fix the cabinet. It is Draco who finally calls it off.

"Alright we have classes in the morning, we should go back and sleep at least a little," Drago says.

"You go ahead, I can leave yet," I say, staring at the cabinet. "I haven't done enough."

"Suit yourself," Draco says.

I hear the clicking of his dress shoes slowly fade out as I continue to fiddle with the cabinet. I continue until my eyes are heavy and it's almost time for my first class. I curse and rush back to the dorms to dress and fix my hair. My scrambling wakes Pansy and the two other girls. I apologize before Pansy asks what I'm doing.

"Getting ready for classes of course," I say.

"It's Saturday honey." Pansy groans.

"Right," I say, throwing myself in my bed.

Pansy wakes up as I try to drift off. She jumps on my bed and places her hands on my shoulders before pulling me to sit upright.

"Where did you disappear to last night?" She asks, implying another sexual reason.

"I was in the common room, studying of course." I scoff.

"Right, studying." She smirks. "You despise studying."

"Well after yesterday's defeat by Harry Potter of all fucking people, I needed a little refresh," I say. "Now could I please go to bed?"

"All right." She grins and I roll my eyes as sleep finally takes me.

Dreamless nights are not a thing I have known since I was a child. As soon as I began my first year at Hogwarts, nightmares plagued my mind. Now that my father has returned, visions replace the nightmares. The only thing that stays constant is the fear.

I jolt awake, my chest rising and falling rapidly. Thankfully the girls have gone off who knows where. I run my hands through my hair before getting ready.

I pull half my hair back before making my way to the dining hall. Everyone wears normal clothes as they eat what appears to be lunch. I find Draco at the end of the group staring at his plate with his head in his hands.

I sit across from Pansy who sits beside him. She beams when she sees me and begins loading my plate with everything she thinks is 'delicious'. I laugh as she does so, sneaking occasional glances at Draco.

"So what's the plan for tonight?" Pansy asks me.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"The party?" She laughs. "It's the first Saturday night of the year. Remember."

"Oh, right," I say. "Ya same as every year right?"

"Eight o'clock?" She says, grinning like an idiot.

"Sure," I say simply.

"Yes!" She explains.

She continues to rush me as she insists we go back to the dorms and search for party clothes. I roll my eyes and push my plate away. She wastes no time before rushing around the table and dragging me to my feet.

When we reach the dormitory she destroyed the room with all her clothes. Evelyn and Mira join her in her fiasco. I sit on my bed and draw while they throw clothes at one another. I already have my outfit picked out and approved by Pansy. The short fitted black dress sits neatly on the end of my bed.

It takes the girl hours to do makeup and hair. I have no clue why they prep for a simple party so early. Then I see why, they take every meticulous detail into account. Their shoes, hair, nails, makeup, outfit, tights, body glitter, and as always the alcohol and pot. I take a few puffs of Mira's joint as they get ready and the world spins and my I hear my heart vividly.

"Vera." Pansy groans. "Come on, you have to get ready."

She drags me up when I don't respond and takes me to the bathroom. I hop on the counter and she does my makeup and swoops my hair towards my jaw with a spell. She forces me to get into my dress and I realize it is now seven thirty.

"Party time!" Mira says passing me the joint.