14 - Deal With it as it Comes

I woke up the next morning and Dodger wasn't in bed beside me but I heard him barking from somewhere in the house. I got out of bed and headed into the kitchen to find Scott feeding Dodger.

"Good morning." I said and he smiled.

"Morning, I was hoping not to wake you. I know it was a rough night." Scott said and I just shrugged and went to sit at the kitchen island.

"Yeah but it was for you too. I mean you had to come and let me in." I said and Scott shrugged.

"It was fine, I mean Chris wanted you safe and out of it."

"Have you seen the photos?" I asked and Scott half nodded.

"Megan did all she could to stop them but some were already out and getting them taken down is a longer process. She is still trying but once they are out there..." Scott trailed off and I nodded.

"Once they are out there, they are out there." I stated. I pulled my phone from the pocket of my shorts where I put it before I left the room and went on Instagram.

"What are you doing?" Scott asked.

"I want to see what is being said..." I trailed off. Scott took my phone from my hands.

"I don't think that's a good idea...never a good idea to look at what is being said." Scott said.

"Scott, Chris said they didn't get any good shots of my face so I just want to see what it being said." I snatched my phone back from Scott and he sighed as I started scrolling through Instagram. I saw the pictures quickly, they were all over the most popular gossip pages.

-Chris Evans dog Dodger with mystery woman, is she a dog sitter?-

-America's favorite dog, Dodger seen out on walks with a mystery woman, who is she?-

-New woman in Chris Evans life? Must be, she has Dodger.-

"Well, it's not all too bad..." I said.

"That's just the headlines, don't read the comments." Scott said. I just raised an eyebrow at him.

"You know telling someone not to do something just makes them want to do it more, right?" I asked and he groaned as I clicked on the comments tab on the picture.

-Who is this girl walking Dodger and why does he seem so comfortable with her?-

-Walking Dodger like he is her dog, Chris got a great dog walker this time around.-

-So obviously she was Dodger approved, I think it's time for fan approval. Why is she hiding her face?-

-She is obviously from Boston if she is out walking Dodger, who wants to do some digging?-

-She isn't even that pretty, not his type at all.-

-Can't see her face but she doesn't seem like someone he would want.-

I just scrolled through them in shock to what was being said and Scott was right, you should never look.

"You okay?" Scott asked and I just put my phone on the counter.

"I guess Chris was right to worry and ask me to come here." I said.

"He just wants you protected. Until he can get home and you guys can figure out what to do." Scott said and I groaned.

"And he won't be done for a few more weeks. I can't put my life on hold for weeks Scott. I think it would be easier for you to take Dodger and just let me go back home. No one saw my face so I could go back to my normal life and not have to stay here." I said. Scott sighed.

"Call Chris." Scott said.

"And do what tell him my plan?" I asked.

"That and just talk to him. He will want to hear from you." Scott said. I grabbed my phone and headed out to the backyard area, Dodger followed me and started playing with a toy that was left in the yard. I sat down in a chair and dialed his number.

It rang a few times and he finally answered, "Good morning beautiful."

I smiled at how he answered the phone, "Good morning."

"How are you feeling this morning?" Chris asked.

"Well, I didn't listen to Scott's warning, and I read the comments on the articles about me with Dodger."

"Oh Bex, don't listen to them." Chris said.

"Easier said than done. I was just thinking I would leave Dodger with Scott or Shanna for now. That way I can go back to work and have a normal life, take the heat off me."

Chris was silent.

"Chris?" I asked. I thought maybe I dropped the call since it was dead silent.

"I'm here, I'm just thinking about it honestly. I mean I want you to have Dodger, he loves you like I do but if you don't feel like you can have a life while watching him..." Chris trailed off.

"I never said I wouldn't have a life Chris but you wont be home for a few more weeks, I have books and things to do. I cant just stop all of that to stay hidden." I said and he groaned.

"I know, I know...so what do we do?" Chris asked.

"I don't know, I have never been here before. I love watching Dodger and having him with me. I mean the only thing we could do now is just take it as it comes. I stay here at your place but I still go out with Dodger." I suggested, "Or I got back home and Scott takes Dodger. It's like one extreme or another."

"I just want you to be comfortable." Chris said.

I sighed and just pinched the bridge of my nose. "What do you think I should do?" I asked.

"I know what I want you to do but this isn't about me Bexley, this is about you." Chris said.

There was silence. Dodger ran over to me, bringing his rope toy to throw and I smiled to him as I did. I knew I couldn't just leave him.

"I'll just say deal with it as it comes. If they get my face in the meantime, I'll deal with it and stay here at your place and once you get home...whenever that may be we decide what we want to do." I said.

I knew Chris was smiling.

"Okay, I just want you to feel comfortable." Chris said.

"As long as you come back to me eventually, I will feel comfortable." I said causing Chris to chuckle.

"I'll be back soon sweetheart." Chris said.

"Good."

"Well I have to get back soon. Seeing you and Dodger in my bed without me is very upsetting." Chris mentioned the picture I took the night before and I laughed.

"Well we are keeping your bed warm for you, waiting for you to get back." I said.

"That's very considerate." Chris laughed.

"I thought so." I said.

"Okay well I need to get to work. I love you and I will call you later." Chris said and I nodded.

"Talk later. I love you." I said and we hung up.

I walked back into the house with Dodger behind me and I looked at Scott as he plated us some breakfast.

"So what are you doing?" Scott asked with a smile like he knew.

"Keeping Dodger, staying here and taking whatever comes." I said and Scott nodded.

"Sounds like a good plan." Scott said and I nodded as I took a bite of the bacon from my plate.