Chapter 23: Can We Go Home Already?

This hurts me.

I'm not playing anymore, just who the hell am I?

. . .

''Commander.'' Rapi's familiar voice shook me out of my thoughts.

I felt my butt pressing down upon a wet, but also solid surface.

My eyelashes felt heavier than usual. It felt like they were moisturized. Upon opening my eyes, I realized why that was.

I was crying.

Subconsciously before, but now I felt like I actually just wanted to cry.

That dream felt real. It felt way too damn real.

It felt like I was holding onto somebody's shoulder and crying on them. Those words, I felt nostalgia upon hearing them.

But the nostalgia, it doesn't appeal.

I have nothing to connect it with. It's a dreadful sensation.

''Birdie, are you alright?'' Laplace appeared from behind. ''I may not be able to see much in this dark space, but the light from the hole above is illuminating your tears.''

... Hole?

Oh, oh I remember now.

We were attacked by a Tyrant Class Rapture and the ground ended up caving in, so now we were here.

In this... Dark and wet place...

I can barely see anything...

''Eh? Are you crying, Cutie?'' Maxwell put a hand on my shoulder. ''Does your foot hurt? I wouldn't be surprised if it did.''

... Ah shit...

I squirmed around to take a look at my feet.

One of them, the right one was alright. But the other one had a gaping hole etched into it.

The moment I noticed it, the pain became more intense. But for some reason, it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would initially.

But it still hurt like a motherfucker.

''Argh!'' I closed my eyes as I winced at it. It was just too bloody to look at it, even if I couldn't see much of it.

''Hold still, Commander.'' Rapi knelt down beside me and pulled out of her small purse a medkit, small enough to fit inside.

... I know this is not the time for this, but it feels like the roles have reversed, eh?

Thankfully, the tentacle that impaled my foot didn't go all the way through, since y'know, bones and all that.

But it still had put in enough velocity to rupture the skin and break through some of the bone, making my foot feel loose.

The bleeding had weakened, so Rapi managed to stop it easily. After that, she used a wet wipe to clean the dirt and debris around it.

She applied an ointment, which I presume is to stop it from getting an infection for the moment.

And finally, bandaged it.

Oh, how lucky I am to have you.

''What about me?''

Shut up, Hare.

''-_-''

Anyway, Rapi finally finished and helped me get up.

And of course, I had to lean on her to get around. But I'm sure she didn't mind it.