Chapter 31: Wrath

''Unbridled rage eats you up from the inside. It causes blindness and insatiable hunger for the affected party. It destroys you, just as condiment destroys honey.''

''You cannot think straight, you remain forever misguided until the steam lets out.''

''Thoughts of revenge run through the minds of the people in this world. Truly, this is a problem we have been faced with.''

''But that is the point.''

''We cannot stop facing wrath, for we are made to inherit it. Wars, unjustifiable murder, greed, envy, and everything that fuels it.''

''Nobody can escape it. You are forever in a constant war of attrition. The more you try to suppress it, the stronger it gets.''

''And in the end, you are left with nothing but the clarity of the actions you have taken.''

''A curse bound to human life.''

The wind swayed The Pilgrim's hair aside as it passed by.

The Pilgrim, wondering the actions they should take as their gaze becomes infallible to the field they stand before.

Eight people lie dead where they stand.

Six Nikkes, One Human, One Heretic.

Snow White felt her hand shake at the sight of brutalization. Three were missing their heads, and the rest were taken out in their own way.

Even the mighty Modernia fell victim to the powerhouse that went through.

She should've been faster...

Why did she have to deal with Chatterbox for so long?

But, out of all the obvious mutilations, one stood out to her.

The white-haired commander lied against a big rock, motionlessly staring at the ground and letting his hair cover the rest of his face.

With no left arm.

Without any other bit of hesitation, The Pilgrim rushed to his side, kneeling down and taking a closer look.

His face was bloody, but thankfully nothing too serious.

She was too busy to notice the thin stitches that lined up the border between his lower and upper jaw.

She then checked the pulse and fell dead silent when she did not feel anything.

Not a single glimmer of life was left in this man.

She failed again...

...

She notifies Kilo and T.A.L.O.S. about this and awaits their response.

After they arrive, Snow White explains the situation and proceeds to leave.

Multiple rescue squads are called so as to pick the fallen back up.

Snow White failed him.

To protect humanity is to protect everyone.