Chapter 1: Rookie

''So, The Ark is the place humans took refuge after the Raptures invaded?'' You were beginning to get the hang of it.

''Correct.'' Marian sighed. ''This must be a huge info dump on you, I'm so sorry.''

''Don't worry about it, I'm interested.'' You cleared your throat. ''So, these Raptures... Are they...''

''They are aliens.'' Marian nodded as she walked alongside you, holding your hand. ''Or at least that's what they told us.''

''And Nikkes...'' You gestured for her to explain.

Normally, a person would've been annoyed in this situation.

But for Marian, she quite enjoyed it. She felt like a teacher when she was explaining these things.

''Nikkes are the machines that fight to reclaim the surface.'' She explained. ''Mankind's last hope... Even if we're not treated like it.''

''What do you mean?'' You cocked an eyebrow.

''Nothing to worry yourself about, Commander.'' Marian patted your head. ''We are close to the rendezvous point, soon we'll be going back to The Ark.''

''That's great.'' You were still a bit curious about what she meant, but chose not to ask. ''... Say, am I really your commander?''

Marian stood quiet for a moment. ''... No...'' She shook her head.

''Oh...''

''My former commander died back at the crash site.'' She explained. ''It is sad to let him go, but I will move on. You are now my temporary commander until the mission is over.''

''Great.'' You smiled. ''So, am I doing a good job?''

Marian giggled. ''Not really.'' She answered, breaking your spirit in half. ''You haven't really done anything.''

''... Well, what should I do then?'' You asked. ''I don't really remember all that much, you know?''

''Well, a commander is typically a leader of the squad.'' She answers. ''They give out the orders, and Nikke's obey. Like a soldier and a general.''

''So I must give you orders?''

''Well, that is the gist of i-''

Before Marian could finish, you spat out your first order. ''My legs are tired, carry me.''

You and Marian stopped dead in your tracks as she deadpanned at you. ''... Only during battles.''

''... Oh.'' You pouted. ''Alright. Let's g- H-Hey!''

Marian suddenly comes from behind you, lifting you up on her back to give you a piggyback ride. ''Although, this is a just cause. You experienced a cardiac arrest, and lost your memories, so I guess I can get behind carrying you.''

She said all that with a smile, and it looked like she didn't have the slightest problem keeping you up there.

Well, Nikkes are quite strong.

''Let me know if you're uncomfortable, Commander.'' Marian began to walk the designated path as she carried you.

This feeling...

You felt embarrassed. Even though nobody's around.

Maybe it's because Marian, a cute girl, is having to carry a guy like you.

''Comfortable?'' Marian asks.

''... Yeah.'' You look into the distance as she walks.

===
===