Chapter 23

The rest of the breakfast was uneventful, as they chatted about their work weeks. When they were finished, they said their goodbyes and got up to leave. It was Lisa's turn to pay so she went over to the register to settle up. She looked outside as she waited for the credit card approval. Jisoo and Jennie were pulling out of their parking spot and she gave them a wave. She signed her receipt and headed out the door. 

Before she got to her car, her phone started ringing. "Hello?" She opened her car door and slid into the front seat, leaving the door open. "Crap, when did that happen? Okay, I'll be right in, I'm getting in my car now." She ended the call and turned the keys in her ignition. Nothing. "Shit." She tried again and she heard a weird noise, but nothing turned over. "No, no, not now."

Chaeyoung was sitting on a bench a couple stores down, finishing up her call when she saw Lisa come out of the cafe. She watched as she got into an old sedan and talked on her phone. She was mildly surprised at the car, she expected the latest and greatest, not some fifteen year old clunker. She just watched her for a couple seconds, then noticed that the car wasn't starting. 

Lisa got out of the car and popped her hood. Chaeyoung couldn't wait to see what would happen next, figuring there was no way Lisa knew a radiator from an air filter. Sure enough, with her hands on her hips, Lisa just stared at the engine and made a show of poking around. She did look upset so Chaeyoung sauntered over to her. "Problem?"

Lisa was startled by the question and the questioner, thinking Chaeyoung had left a while ago, but now noticing that the motorcycle was still in its spot. "It won't start."

"Well, there's a surprise. How old is thing? Is it a Studebaker? Like, 1930 something? Gotta million miles on it?"

"Funny. You're so funny. I'll have you know this is the first new car that I ever bought."

"Did you buy it when you were twelve?"

Lisa crossed her arms and stared at her for a second. "I've had it a long time, and I'm quite attached to it."

"Like your wallet. You seem to form curious attachments."

Lisa pursed her lips and rolled her eyes. "I have an emergency back at the hospital." She looked back at the engine and let out an exasperated groan. "I don't have time for this." She banged the hood back into place and took out her phone, "I'll just call zuber or something."

"You mean Uber?"

"Uber, juber, whatever, do you have their number?"

"Do you have an account with them?"

"No, why?"

"Usually you have an account and they charge your account when they pick you up. And it'll probably take them about ten minutes before they even get here. Why don't you let me give you a ride? I'll get you there in eight minutes." 

"A ride? On that thing?" Lisa pointed to Chaeyoung's motorcycle.

"Yeah, what's wrong with that thing." 

"They're dangerous. I need to make it there in one piece."

"I'll get you there in one piece."

"I'm a doctor..."

"We all know that," Chaeyoung slipped into the conversation.

"And I've seen plenty of motorcycle accident victims. And it's not pretty."

"I'll go slow, c'mon, the more you talk, the later you'll be. Get your sunglasses."

Lisa contemplated her options. She needed to get moving so she relented. She reached into her car and pulled out her glasses. "Okay, but go slow."