chapter 12

Emma William

---

After a long time, I was feeling worse. Some days, I could barely get out of bed. But what really gets me down is how John's been acting. Ever since our fake date, he's been so sweet and caring towards me.

Sometimes, it feels like he loves me more than I ever thought possible. But after all the mean things I did to him, I don't deserve his kindness or love. I just want to avoid him as much as I can. So, I got up and headed to the bathroom.

As I walked down the hall, someone called out, "Hey, 19!" I turned and saw John coming towards me with a smile.

"What's up, John? Everything okay?" I asked. He seemed hesitant, but eventually said, "Could you come to my office at 11 pm tonight?"

I didn't want to, but I felt like I had no choice. So, I reluctantly agreed, and he walked away with that smile I wish I could see forever. I really care about him, but I know I need to keep my distance.

At midnight

---

I got up and went to his office, feeling really nervous. I couldn't just turn back and say I wasn't coming; it was too late for that. I stood by his door and knocked. "Come in," he said, so I entered.

"Why did you call me?" I asked.

"Well, I know it's not the best time to ask, but do you want to go out with me? There's a place I want to show you," he said. My mind was telling me to walk away and go back to my room, but my heart really wanted it. So, despite my doubts, I accepted.

---

He was driving, and I was staring out the window. Then, he stopped the car and got me out.

"Wait, don't move, 19," he said, placing a blindfold on me. I felt scared. What if he was getting revenge and planned to leave me stranded somewhere? Slowly, he took my hand and guided me somewhere.

"Okay, now open it, 19," he said.

I took off the blindfold and was shocked. There was painting equipment and a beautiful blanket laid out, like a picnic.

"Paint as much as you want, 19. Paint whatever you like: the sea, the trees, or..." He pointed up at the sky, where I saw countless beautiful stars. I looked at him with tears in my eyes.

"Why are you doing this, John? I know you hate me. You were supposed to hate me!" I said angrily, feeling frustrated.

"Everything you're doing is pointless, John. One day, I'll die. So why bother?" I said, crying. He stood there, watching me.

"I love you, Emma," he finally said, saying my name after so long.

"I love you, no matter how much you push me away. I can't ignore these feelings. For the past 13 years, I've tried to hate you, but I couldn't. Because you're my star, Emma. You shine bright in my life, just like a star. I know you don't love me back, but I'll love you forever," he said. Tears were streaming down my face.

He was about to leave, but I grabbed his hand and kissed him. I couldn't hide my feelings anymore. I couldn't bear to be without him or ignore him. We stood there, kissing like there was no tomorrow. After we pulled away, we rested our foreheads together.

"I love you, John. I'm so sorry for all the horrible things I did. I love you," I said. He hugged me tightly and patted my back.

After that, our night was amazing. I painted, but I didn't show him yet. Later, we went to the hospital.

---

"You kissed!" David and Sophia exclaimed simultaneously. We were at the café, and John was holding my hand under the table.

"Why are you guys yelling?" John asked.

"Okay, yeah, yesterday you told me you weren't ready for dating, and now you're dating your patient, which is illegal, by the way," David pointed out.

"Yeah, I know. I'll be careful. I have to go. Come on, Emma, let's get you to bed," John said, surprising David and Sophia when he used my name. I just took his hand and left.

"I can't believe they're dating now," David said.

"Yeah, I'm happy for them," Sophia replied.

David stretched his arms and placed them on Sophia's shoulders.

"I think it's time we should date too, Princess. What do you think?" David asked with a smirk on his face.

"Well, if you bring donuts, then I'll think about it," Sophia replied teasingly.

David stood up with an annoyed expression and said, "It's useless trying to flirt with you. All you care about is food. Stay here; I'll go get them."

Sophia tried not to laugh too hard at his reaction.