Chapter 6

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship." — Buddha

************

GUZAP, ESTATE ,ABUJA,NIGERIA
Ameer's father fixed him with a stern gaze, his voice firm but concerned. "Ahmad , which is it? Did you not have a job or did you not have enough money to get married?" The elderly man sat comfortably in his armchair, dressed in a crisp white jalabiya, while Ameer sat on the rug, his head bowed in respect.

"Daddy, none of the above," he replied, scratching the back of his head. "Daddy, work is overwhelming, Wallahi, I don't have the time. The unpredictable schedules..." He stuttered, struggling to find the right words.

"And then what?" his dad questioned, his tone firm. "Is that all your excuses?"

"Excuses, kuma daddy?" he gave him a pensive face, his expression sincere. "Believe me, it's not an excuse, that's the truth."

"So, from Monday to Sunday, you're on duty?"
His father pressed on.

he nodded, his eyes downcast. "Daddy, you know how our work is - unpredictable and demanding. We just need your blessings and prayers to get through it."

His father nodded his head, "Allah ya taimaka.

Ameen.Daddy, Allah ya kara girma" he replied, as he walked out of his father's parlor and headed to his room. he grabbed his car key and decided to visit his friend Khalid in Maintama. He parked his car in the house's parking space and stepped out, pulling out his phone to call Khalid. "I'm outside," he said, hanging up the call shortly after. Not long after, Khalid walked towards Ameer with a smile.

The workaholic finally has time today!" Khalid exclaimed, letting out a laughter, to which Ameer shook his head in response.

Ameer settled into the soft couch in Khalid's room. "How far, man?" Khalid asked, surprised. "I didn't expect you to show up, considering you're always busy."

He chuckled. "You know me, Khalid. I had to make time for this visit. It's been a while!"

Khalid nodded. "Definitely! So, did you catch yesterday's match? Mbappe was on fire! If not for those penalties, Manchester wouldn't have scored at all, wallahi!"

"His face lit up with a bright, toothy grin Manchester's got this, dude! They outplay PSG any day, and that's not up for debate!"

Ameer, you're such a Manchester fanboy! I can't believe you're still stuck on that team!"

Hey, someone's got to represent the Red Devils! And yes, I firmly believe Manchester plays better than PSG. Their teamwork and strategy are unmatched!"

Khalid shakes his head oh man, you're really getting into this, aren't you? Alright, I'll give you that. But I still think PSG has a shot at the title this season!"

We'll see about that! I'm calling it now Manchester will take the title, and you'll be eating your words!"

So, what's up? I'm thinking of settling down, wallahi. I've met this girl, Khadija, from Katsina, and I've even sent my elders to ask for her hand in marriage."

Ameer chuckled, "That's great, daman ai! You people are getting old; it's better you start opening the door for the rest to get married." He raised one brow, a habitual gesture of his, which has become a part of him. He often did it without noticing, and it's a trait that has become synonymous with his personality.