Chapter20

(Vote)(comment)
(Before switching off your data)

Inalillahi, I made a mistake and accidentally dialed Mr. Detective's number, hanging up immediately. he might think I deliberately "flashed" his number, especially since it's been two weeks since he last called me. I'm sure he's busy with work, otherwise, he would have been more persistent in contacting me.

It's late at night, and I'm currently staying at Aunty Yesmeen's house, where I've been helping out for about a week. Unfortunately, she's not feeling well due to her health condition, and with Eid al-Fitr tomorrow, she needs assistance preparing food for her in-laws."

"The wind is howling outside, and the rain threatens to pour down at any moment. Aunty Yesmeen is busy in the kitchen, frying chicken and preparing other dishes for tomorrow. I'm exhausted from our busy day at the market, and the thought of walking to the kitchen feels daunting. Ummi is always  praying that she lives long enough to see me get married and witness how my future husband will handle my laid back nature. I slip into my cozy pajamas, ready to relax. Just as I settle in, the rain begins to fall, drumming against the roof and providing a soothing background noise."

"My phone pierces the silence with its shrill ring, and I know instinctively it's him calling. My heart races as I ponder what to say and what he might think. I take a deep breath and answer the call.

Assalamu alaikum ya kike ?"he questioned , his voice sounding different, than usual.

Wa'alaikumu salam" I respond, I accidentally dialed your number, it wasn't intentional, I swear! don't think I was trying to 'flash' your number." I speak in a rush.

"He responds with a brief 'Ma'asalam' and hangs up the call without giving me a chance to say another word. I stare at my phone screen in disbelief, wondering why he ended the call so abruptly. What did he mean by that? I chastise myself for answering his call in the first place, 'Cocky bastard.' But then I remember  maybe he's busy with work, maybe he's on duty, and that's why he's brief. They don't usually answer calls, anyway."

I get up and walk out of the room, dialing Mamah's number. She answers on the first ring.

How far, matar Ameer ?" she asks. I shake my head, even though she can't see me.

"Spare me you won't believe what Mr. Detective did to me today."

You sound upset. ? What did Ameer do this time?"

"I accidentally dialed his number and hang  up immediately, but then he called back. And that bastard had the nerve to be brief and hang up on me again!" I exclaim, still frustrated.

I can't believe you accidentally dialed his number. Your fingers slipping away from you?"

And I regret telling this to her instantly .I roll my eyes it was  an honest mistake! And besides, I'm still trying to figure out why he's so rude on the phone."

You  know how their work  is . They're always busy and stressed. Maybe he is  in a rush or something."

I sigh, knowing she's right. "Yeah, maybe you're right. But still, that doesn't give him an excuse to be rude. I end the call and head to the kitchen, Aunty Yesmeen and her maid are almost done.

Hajiya, se yanzu Aunty Yesmeen, exclaim.

I'm exhausted!" I exclaim, flopping down into a chair at the island. "We spent the whole day at the market, and my poor skin has taken a beating."  I grab a piece of chicken and shove it into my mouth, savoring the flavor.

You're tired? What did you do all day besides going to the market? Allah, your husband will have to be patient with you, lazy Nigerian youth!"

Toh yana so na ai dole yayi hakuri da ni Aunty yesmeen, did you hear about Amina's wedding?" her father did the unthinkable during the introduction !" 

What did he do?"Aunty yesmeen questioned

When the groom's family come for the introduction suna zuwa kawo kudin gaisuwa Amina's father declared that they would tie the knot right then and there!" Idan ni ne  ita I for die be that. Even though Baba always says this to me , 'Da anzo kawo gaisuwa' za'a daura.

Aunty Yesmeen chuckled, shaking her head. "You know baba jalila , He's a man of his word. You might as well accept your fate!"And who knows, that the Ameer you're giving a hard time might just turn out to be your husband! you know baba, suna zuwa yace  a daura aure.

"It will never happen, insha Allah, wallahi I'm so sleepy," I say, yawning. "You're almost done, good night."

The next day, I wake up to the Eid preparations. We're doing a mini decor for Eid in Aunty Yesmeen's parlor, and after that, I take a refreshing bath and slip into my jalbab. Then, we head to the mosque for Eid prayers, just the three of us  me, Aunty Yesmeen, and her husband.

After the prayers, we return to her house in NITR quarters, U/Rimi,I settle into  living room, filled with the delicious aroma of traditional Eid dishes.

Ya Marwan's voice echoes through the palour , "Ah, Jalila, so you're here, leaving ummi  all alone?" He walks in with his friend, exchanging greetings.

"I didn't leave her alone, I want to go back home as soon as possible. I respond,And where's my barka da sallah ?"

"Bashir Kaga fah budurwar Ameer!" Ya Marwan exclaims to his friend.My mouth drops open in shock. "And here we go again, another day of hearing Ameer's name from my family. When did I become Ameer's girlfriend?"

"Ah, kece matar ta mu ashe masha Allah !" his friend exclaims, making me cover my face with my palms, feeling shy. "Inalillahi" , I mutter, trying to process the sudden revelation.

Ya Marwan continues, "Did you call him? He's been sick, wallahi, almost a week! They discharged him from the hospital yesterday." My eyes widen in surprise, and I look up immediately.

Aunty Yesmeen walks out of the kitchen, settling into the armchair. "Who's sick?" she asks, concern etched on her face.

Ameer, wallahi! He's been admitted for weeks, they discharged him yesterday.

Subhannallah, Allah ya sawake" she exclaims.

I roll my eyes. "Ugh, everyone's always talking about Ameer, Ameer, Ameer! It's like his name is the only one that matters. My family's obsession with him is unreal; it's as if he's cast a spell on them, making them forget about their own blood. It's ridiculous!"
But then my heart skips a beat as I process the news. Maybe his illness is the reason he hasn't been contacting me, and maybe it's why he was so brief yesterday when I called him. I make a mental note to call him later, insha Allah....

Okay, guys, I know this chapter might be a bit boring, but I didn't want to delay updating since I already have it drafted.

I'm posting it now instead of waiting until tomorrow, which is a busy for me  with a lot of school stress ahead.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! Have a peaceful night, and thanks for reading 🌚

Ummeetarh05"