Chapter12

"Ya Ameer, tell ya Fuad to give me back my ice cream! He ate it all!" Afnan wailed, her tiny voice cracking with despair as she stomped her foot and threw a tantrum, her chubby cheeks flushed with anger. Ameer, is too engrossed in his phone to notice, lounging comfortably on the plush armchair in the cozy living room, his eyes fixed on the screen as he scrolled through social media. The soft glow of the lamp beside him cast a warm light on his face, highlighting his relaxed expression.

Their mother, settled nearby on the sofa, is getting a rejuvenating manicure and pedicure, her eyes closed in bliss as the technician gently massaged her feet and washed her legs with warm water. Fuad, the mischievous culprit behind the missing ice cream, is nowhere to be seen, Khadija is engrossed watching zee-world.

You're piercing my eardrums with that incessant wailing, Afnan!" he exclaimed, finally tearing his gaze away from his phone to shoot her a stern look.

Her sobs only intensified, her tiny body shaking with indignation. "Ya Ameer, she wailed, he broke his fast today and opened the fridge and grabbed my ice cream!

"It's just ice cream, Afnan, let us rest, please," Khadija exclaim.

"It's not just ice cream! It's my favorite flavor, and ya Fuad knew it! he always does this, and it's so unfair!"

The room fell silent, the only sounds Afnan's sniffles and the gentle hum of the air conditioner. he sighed, his eyes rolling heavenward in exasperation, while their mother's eyes fluttered open, a hint of a smile on her face.

"Go call Fuad," he finally spoke, looking at Khadija, knowing exactly that Afnan wouldn't let them rest until she get her way.

"Why did you break your fast today?" he questioned, giving Fuad a stern look. "And why on earth did you take her ice cream?"

Fuad's eyes welled up with tears. "Yaya Ameer, I told Mommy that I was breaking my fast. I had a headache, and she said it's okay. But I didn't mean to take Afnan's ice cream... I just really want something sweet!"

Their mother's expression turned from calm to concerned. "Fuad, why would you take your sister's ice cream? That is very thoughtless of you.

Fuad's face fell, and he looked down at his feet, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry, Mommy.

"Come here, Fuad ," their mother called, beckoning him to sit beside her. Let me see you go out from here gain.

Just then, the entrance door burst open with a flurry of chatter, revealing their aunt, Hajiya Ummukhulthum, and her two daughters, their cousins. "Assalamu alaikum!" they greeted, as they walked in, bringing with them a whirlwind of energy and excitement.

Ameer stood up from his reclining position, greeting his aunt with a warm smile. "Ameer, yau ba aiki kenan?" she asked, looking at him.

"Aunty, I don't have a shift today until after Eid, insha Allah," he replied, walking towards the door. He slid on his Puma Palm shoes and headed towards his room, aware that the Asr prayer is approaching. He usually spend time at the mosque until the evening, when the tafsir sessions concluded, and then returned home

As he lay down on his bed, closing his eyes, he thought about calling Jalila, but hesitated. He has come to realize that Marwan is right; her sharp tongue is something he can't tolerate. He didn't want to call her and risk hearing her hurtful words. he valued respect and kindness in his relationships, and her behavior has fallen short of that standard.

As the call of the azan filled the air, he rose to his feet, answering the summons to prayer. He made his way to the mosque, performed his ablution, and joined the congregation in prayers. After the prayers, he remained seated alongside his brother, listening intently to the tafsir until the session concluded at around 5 pm.

Returning to his room, he put his phone on Do Not Disturb mode and adjusted the A.C to a comfortable 16 degrees. he lay down on his bed and soon drifted off to sleep, recharging for the rest of the day.

Ameer slept soundly until 5 minutes before the Magrib prayer, when he woke up and headed to the bathroom to wash his face. He then went to his closet and grabbed a blue jalabiya, which he wore as he walked out of the room, accompanied by the echoing sound of the Magrib prayer.

As he entered the parlor, he grabbed a bottle of cold water and a date, popping the date into his mouth. After praying, he noticed that no one is in the parlor, so he picked up his phone and decided to text Jalila, even though he knows she wouldn't respond. "Barka da Shan ruwa, Jalila. I know you won't pick up my call, even if I try. he sent.

"Ya Ameer, Daddy is calling you," Fuad said, as he settled into the dining area.

He's taken aback, wondering when his father has returned, as he knows he is supposed to be out of town. Whenever his father is in town, they usually have Iftar together, prayed, and spent time together until around 10:00 pm.

"Barka da Shan ruwa, Mommy," he exclaimed noticing his mother emerging from her room

Barka, Ahmad, your father has come back," she replied.

Ameer nodded, He walked towards his father's room, greeting him with a respectful salam. His father settled on the carpet, surrounded by a spread of dishes, a familiar and cozy setting.he has grown accustomed to his father's preference for eating on the carpet, even when the dining table is available.

"Peace be upon you, Daddy. Barka da Shan ruwa," he settled beside his father on the carpet.how s your trip?" he asked.

"Alhamdulillah, Ahmad, I hope you're all doing well," his father questioned , as Ameer enthusiastically served him food and also helped himself.

He sat beside his father, listening intently as he shared stories about his work and trip. Ameer responded thoughtfully, asking questions and offering insightful comments, demonstrating his respect and interest in his father's experiences.....