Mirai Yosuko

You can always rewrite reality and make your own dad love you. But fake affection is what you despise the most.

Hating was the only thing you could feel in this messed-up world you lived in. You hated the maids who ignored you, you hated your schoolwork, you hated how everyone was always selfish. You hated your mom as well. You don't miss her. Why miss someone who was never really part of your life? Hatred was the only thing you learned growing up because there was no parent to guide you.

But meeting Mirai changed your perspective on how you see the world. She was the first person you cared about. Your favorite maid, who taught you good manners and how to make good decisions in life—which you’re still learning. She gave you knowledge about how to survive in the world. She was so naïve, and you hated naïve people. Except for your maid, your only loved one, your mother.

Returning home later than usual, Mirai noticed but didn’t question you. She wouldn’t force you to share your secrets because she respected you. As a mother, she trusted her children, even though the two of you weren’t blood-related. She would fight anyone who dared to take away her boy.

You wouldn’t tell Mirai about Dazai. She might have a heart attack. You wouldn’t tell her how you had a date with him every night, a date where he’d just talk about himself again and again. You wouldn’t tell her how he knows everything about you. You also wouldn’t tell her that it’s already been a year.

Both of you were finally sixteen years old. It had been a year of constant teasing from him, a year of getting to know him—even though his stories were half-truths. You actually liked his company, but you wouldn’t consider your relationship as friends. You were just his hostage held at gunpoint.

Back to Mirai, who had gone out to buy groceries from a nearby store. You asked her to let the other maids take care of it, but she declined and went on her way before you could stop her.

That was five hours ago. You tapped your feet in distress and decided to go fetch her.

Walking down a dark street, you headed to the store where she usually bought groceries. You stopped walking as your body shivered when the cold air hit your skin.

"So cold, I should have worn a jacket," you muttered, blowing warm air into your hands and continuing on your way.

Your eyes widened in fear when you saw the store’s state—it was completely destroyed. Panicking, you called the police.

“Hello, police! The Alfey store here has been destroyed!” You couldn’t hear the police reply as you entered the ruined building, hoping to find someone alive and well.

But there was nobody inside, not even one.

“Please! Come quickly! The street name is Naka Ward! Please hurry.” You didn’t hear any response, and panic overtook you as your ears started to ring.

Your knees went weak, and your heartbeat quickened. You hadn’t felt fear in such a long time. You heard the loud sirens of a police car, then you passed out from a panic attack. You tried to fight it but failed miserably.

--------------------

For the first time in fourteen years, you had a dream—a dream about Mirai.

"Y/N, I’m always here to support you!"

The Mirai in your dreams said this while patting your head.

Mirai was the warmest person you’d ever had in your life. Your maid was the kindest, the dearest to you.

She didn’t deserve what happened to her.

You woke up with a gasp and looked around the room—it looked like a hospital room. You tried to get up but stopped when a woman greeted you.

“Oh, you’re awake. That’s good.” You glared at her, but you weren’t scared because you could read her.

With enough information, you calmed down. You were in your dad’s work building—her name was Yosano, and she worked here. Now you wanted to ask her the most important question.

“The store... what happened?” you asked in a dull tone. She took a seat on the stool near you.

“Didn’t even ask for my name?” You shook your head and looked her in the eyes.

“I already know who you are. I’ve already read you.” You saw her eyes widen in amusement.

“Really? The president’s son is just amazing. And no, I don’t have any information about that case.” You gripped the sheet tightly and stood up from your bed.

“Wa-wait, where are you—” You ran out of the room, slamming the door shut.

The other workers from ADA looked at you, shocked by the frustrated expression on your face.

They heard you enter the president’s room, slamming the door open.

You saw your dad look at you with the same face you always hated—the same expression he always wore when he saw you.

You harshly closed the door, and Fukuzawa’s eyes twitched.

“Mirai! Find Mirai! Do something. That’s all I ask!” You cringed when your voice broke, and tears trailed down your cheeks. You heard Fukuzawa take a deep breath, taking a minute before answering you for the first time in many years.

“Mirai and the others were found dead.” Your world stopped spinning.

“What? No...” Your vision blurred, and you felt sick.

“You were late when you showed up. Mirai and the other victims were held hostage and were burned alive. Nothing was left.” You clenched your fists in anger.

“What did the police even do?” you screamed, flinching when Fukuzawa slammed his hand on the table and stood up.

“Questioning stops here. Go home!” He yelled, and that was your last straw.

You grabbed a nearby object and threw it at him, which he easily dodged.

“Mirai! Mirai was important to me! She—” You cut yourself off with a sob and cried uncontrollably.

You didn’t notice Ranpo was behind you, watching the scene.

“She was the mother I never had! She was there when you weren’t. She was there when I felt alone. I—” You took a deep breath and sobbed again and again, not realizing Fukuzawa had already left the room.

You felt someone warm hug you—it was Ranpo. You didn’t hug him back; you fell to your knees and cried so hard.

Your ability is useless. You couldn’t even save your mother—your beloved mother.

--------------------

You passed out from crying and woke up in your room. You felt too weak to cry again. You felt too weak to do anything. The other maids knocked on your door, begging you to at least eat and take a bath. You ignored them.

You grabbed your phone to find something to distract you from harsh reality. But your heart stopped when you saw a message from Mirai. It was from yesterday. You pressed her contact and read:

"Dear Y/N,

My one and only son, I want you to know that you are loved, you are wanted, you are seen.

Sincerely, Mirai Yosuko"

You sobbed again, using your other hand to cover your mouth. You threw the phone across the room as the thoughts came back again.

“I’m so weak, Mirai. I’m so sorry. If I wasn’t lazy that day, if I had remembered to rewrite your fate, if only...”

Those “what ifs” plagued your mind. You remembered her promise, and it wasn’t her fault she didn’t keep it.

It was her fate, her destiny. You were too late to rewrite it. Everything happened so fast, you didn’t even realize her death was near.

“Mirai, I’m so sorry.”