One last time

It had been a week since Mirai's death-a week you skipped school. But you decided to return to school once again. You promised her you'd be a good person, so you'll do your best to fulfill her wishes. Because you love your mother.

Revenge was useless since the culprit was already caught. And Mirai would hate it if you killed those murderers. You don't want to kill anyone anymore because you've realized your ability has another rule: if you kill someone, it will also take someone important in your life. It's a give-and-take situation when it comes to taking a life. You really learned your lesson the hard way.

Second year of high school was really easy for you. It was easy to catch up on lessons, and once again, you were at the top of the class. Everyone praised you, but you still felt so empty.

It felt empty because there was no point in going home earlier than usual, no point in visiting Dazai anymore. So you wanted to give Dazai a farewell before leaving him.

So here you are, arriving at the same place, at the same time, waiting for him. You heard footsteps, familiar footsteps, and a familiar voice you missed.

"Oi Y/N, it's been a week! Why did you ditch me?" You missed his whining, but you still hated him.

"I don't want to see you anymore. This will be our last meeting," you said dully. You heard him run up to you.

"Eh?! You know what I'll do, right, so-" He stopped talking when he saw tears brimming in your eyes.

"She's dead," your voice quivered, and your heart sank when you heard him laugh.

"Then, wanna commit double suicide?" he said with his usual enthusiasm.

You wiped your tears and smiled sadly at him. "I'm sorry, but I'm still planning to live on." You heard him groan, but it was true.

Mirai, your mother, had always told you to aim for a brighter future.

That was ironic because Mirai's name meant "future," yet she died at a young age. She didn't deserve to die. But it was your fault she died. If you had rewritten everything, her fate would have changed.

"But isn't she the reason you live? She's gone now, so you really don't have anyone anymore," Dazai said, scooting closer to you. You only shook your head to deny him.

"No, you're wrong. Mirai told me I'm still wanted, I'm still seen, and I'm still loved by someone." Dazai's eyes widened as he leaned his head closer to you.

"By who?" You lowered your head and turned your back on him.

"You." Your answer made Dazai's heartbeat quicken, and his ears turned red. He struggled to find something to retort back.

You turned around to look at him one last time. This time, you gave him your most genuine smile.

"Osamu, thank you for your company," you said one last time before leaving him alone. You left him a blushing mess.

--------------------

You never really knew your father that well. He never visited your home because he slept somewhere else, in another house he had built away from your estate. Rich people really do waste money. He still talked to you sometimes-once a year, sometimes four. He only said things like announcing what work he was currently doing. You knew your father did dirty jobs before, because you had used your ability on him.

You also read Ranpo well enough to know what happened between the two of them. Your dad still talked to you to remind you that you'd work at his company, to study hard, and not to get sick.

You wondered if he cared for you, or if he just cared about your ability, which would surely help with a lot of cases. You, of course, wanted to use your ability for good, but not in the way other detectives do. Rather, you wanted to be a crime consultant. You read people so well; you wanted to understand what was inside a criminal's mind, how they thought, and their personality.

It might be a boring job for others, but to you, this is where you are an expert.

"It takes a thief to catch a thief," your used-to-be online friend from Russia once said.

And you liked reading people because it was amusing to see other people's perspectives. And if you could, you would rewrite their life if you found it really boring.

So from now on, you'll do your best to reach your standard-to be the best crime consultant of this generation.

And while you were thinking of all that, you remembered what the other maids had told you. Mirai's family had buried their daughter in Yokohama Foreign Cemetery.

Mirai had always told you how her own family loved her dearly. No wonder she was full of warmth. She had a loving family.

Walking straight to the cemetery, you held her favorite flowers in your hand, a bouquet of forget-me-not flowers. She loved these flowers so much that she had planted them in your estate garden. The bouquet in your hands was made from the flowers she had grown, and you will take care of them for her.

Walking at night in the cemetery used to be scary, but you aren't afraid because Mirai's soul will always be by your side. Then you saw the headstone with her name on it, "Yosuko Mirai."

You smiled warmly at her grave and took a seat on the dirty pavement. You placed the flowers down, clapped your hands twice, and prayed for her.

"Mirai, my mother, from now on, I'll continue to aim for a brighter future. I'll be the good person you always wanted." You finished praying, and you told her what had happened to you today, just like you always did when she was alive.

You apologized for showing up late for her funeral. You told her your secret meetings with Dazai. You fought the urge to cry. It was a special moment; you didn't want to ruin it.

"You know, Mom, after high school graduation, I'm working at Dad's company. I know you'll hate it, but it has been my dream to become a crime consultant. You know, I told you about it before." You stopped talking and bit your lip when you felt tears trail down your cheeks. You couldn't hold your tears back and sobbed.

It was nighttime, so no one would see how pathetic you looked.

After successfully wiping your tears, you decided to go home.

You didn't notice someone was watching you. You didn't notice the pain and guilt on their face, how they clenched their teeth and balled their fists tightly.

How they wished they could hug their one and only son and apologize.