Starting over

Your heart dropped when your phone rang, and you saw the caller ID. It was your dad.

Panicking, you clumsily answered the phone.

"Ye-yes, hello, Dad!" You cringed when you accidentally stuttered.

"Y/N, I would like to invite you to our dinner party. Our company is celebrating another successful year. I would be happy if you could come." You froze. The last sentence almost made you cry.

"Who is this? Is this a trap?" you blurted out without thinking, and you heard your dad clear his throat.

"It's me, your father." You really couldn't believe it—your dad was inviting you to a party.

"Sure," was all you could reply, and you heard someone cheering in the background.

"Then it's settled. See you at five after school. Kunikida will pick you up." Your dad hung up the call, and you couldn't help but stare at your phone in worry.

'Why the hell does he need my presence, and why is he letting his worker pick me up? I'm not a kid.' You continued to stare at your phone, not used to your father talking to you like that.

You concluded from your conversation that he needed something from you.

What you didn't know was that right now, Ranpo was congratulating their tsundere president for successfully inviting you to their party. The other workers couldn't wait to meet the president's son.

Your thoughts throughout the whole period were focused on the conversation you had with your dad. When school ended, you were standing in front of the school gate, waiting for Kunikida.

You knew this man—he had come to your estate once to announce that your father had taken on a serious and dangerous case, so it would take him time to get home.

Your first impression of him was that he was a kind and very straightforward man. It seemed like he had his own ideals, and you were right because you had read him well. He looked handsome with his glasses too.

Your thoughts about him were interrupted when you heard your name being called. Turning to look at the voice, you gave a warm smile when you realized it was Kunikida. You entered the backseat of the car and put on your seatbelt.

Kunikida continued to drive, and the car ride was silent, but you decided to break it.

"Kunikida-san, thank you for picking me up. I could have taken the bus; I'm sorry for bothering you." You saw how Kunikida glanced at the mirror to look at you and gave you a smile.

"It's fine, just following the president's orders." You smiled back at him and fidgeted with your fingers. You just stayed silent, waiting for the day to end quickly.

Finally, reaching the ADA building, you gripped your hands tightly in nervousness. Your thoughts were flooded with what-ifs, but they were interrupted when Kunikida told you the party had started and everyone was waiting. You nodded at him, trailing behind him as you followed him.

The sound of everyone cheering could now be heard clearly since both of you were getting close. When you finally reached the fourth-floor room, Kunikida opened the door for you, and you were greeted with the sight of everyone laughing and shouting, with a lot of food on the table and balloons everywhere. It was childish.

You entered with a sigh and closed the door.

You saw your dad walking toward you, and you straightened your back.

"Thank you for coming. Enjoy the party." You sweatdropped at the awkwardness.

"Thank you for inviting me," was your only reply, accompanied by an awkward smile. Bonding with your father was never your forte.