20: What's on your mind, Captain

I gather my resolve and make my way to Levi's office, my heart pounding with nervous anticipation. I hesitate for a moment outside the door, then steel myself and knock firmly.

"Come in," Levi's voice calls from inside, and I push open the door, stepping into the dimly lit room. Levi is seated at his desk, surrounded by stacks of paperwork, his expression focused and serious.

As I approach, I can feel his eyes on me, watching my every move. I place my own paperwork on the desk, trying to ignore the sudden flutter of nerves in my stomach.

"Hey," I greet him softly, trying to sound casual despite the tension in the air.

Levi looks up, his gaze meeting mine, and for a moment, it feels like the world stops. There's a flicker of something in his eyes, something unreadable, before he returns his attention to the papers in front of him.

"Hey," he replies, his voice gruff but not unkind.

I take a deep breath, trying to summon the courage to broach the subject that's been weighing on my mind. "Um, about earlier..." I begin, trailing off uncertainly.

Levi sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose as if bracing himself for what's to come. "Look, Luna," he interrupts, his tone weary. "We don't need to talk about it."

But I can't let it go that easily. I need to know where we stand, what this means for us. "But I think we should," I press, my voice barely above a whisper.

Levi leans back in his chair, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "Fine," he relents, his tone resigned. "What do you want to say?"

I take a deep breath, gathering my thoughts. "I just... I don't regret what happened between us," I confess, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "But I need to know if it meant anything to you."

Levi's expression softens, a hint of something tender in his eyes. "Of course it did," he murmurs, his voice barely audible. "But we can't let it affect our working relationship."

I nod, understanding his point but unable to shake the lingering sense of longing in my chest. "I know," I reply quietly, trying to mask the disappointment in my voice.

Levi pushes himself away from his desk, his lap suddenly open and inviting. "Come here," he says softly, his gaze intense as he meets mine.

Without hesitation, I close the distance between us, straddling his lap as he pulls me close. The world falls away as our lips meet in a tender kiss, and for a moment, it feels like nothing else matters.

"We both have our duties. This... whatever it is between us, it can't interfere with that."

I nod, a sense of relief washing over me at his words. "Of course," I reply, trying to keep my tone light despite the flutter of emotions in my chest. "Just a bit of stress relief, right?"

Levi's lips twitch in a faint smile as he leans closer, his breath warm against my skin. "Something like that," he murmurs, his fingers trailing along the curve of my hip.

A shiver runs down my spine at his touch, my mind buzzing with a heady mix of desire and anticipation. But even as I lean in closer, I can't shake the nagging feeling of doubt lingering at the back of my mind.

"So, we're both on the same page then?" I ask, pulling back slightly to meet Levi's gaze. "No expectations, no complications."

Levi meets my gaze, his expression unreadable for a moment before a hint of amusement flickers in his eyes. "Sounds like a plan," he replies, his voice tinged with a hint of mischief.

I can't help but laugh at his response, the tension between us easing slightly with the shared moment of levity. "Alright then," I say, giving him a playful nudge. "Let's just enjoy the moment."