2. You don't bother me, Nora.

Five months later, October

I crossed the entrance of one of my favorite cafeterias in the neighborhood. Then gone ahead to order the coffee that I always order when I'm depressed.

It had only been a few months since I graduated. I had been working for a newspaper writing articles for a while, but it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

It was already late in the afternoon, I had dressed somewhat formal to go to deliver resumes wherever they were looking for employees. My black pants and white blouse were starting to fade with my mood, as well as my black hair was suffering from my stress as it was going from neat and straight to a more wavy look.

I had sent my resume to every publisher possible, along with my essays and other writings. Nothing. I sent a thousand emails, and nothing. Depression was hitting me hard at this point.

For average people, it's normal to spend some time unemployed after finishing college, but for me, I have a hard time when it comes to be patient. I guess patience was never my strong suit, someone else took my share.

If going to therapy has taught me anything, it's not to get depressed in bed, so, I've been going to the downtown cafeteria for a while to get depressed while drinking a cold coffee.

So yes, that's right, my plans for today were nothing more than to sit at the usual table, not too far from the display case that showed the street and people crossing the sidewalk. So I did. I soon found myself in the cafeteria, took my usual place and as soon as I touched the seat and leaned back on the table, I put my hands on my face to avoid shedding any tears before even touching my coffee.

— Nora?

I turned around immediately, I recognized that voice.

— Charlie, hi. — I greeted her waving my hand in the air and a closed smile. I swallowed my sad thoughts and tried to put on my best face.

Soon she approached me with encouragement. She seemed in good spirits.

— Hey! I almost didn't recognize you, can I sit down? — she pointed to the only chair that was in front of me.

— Of course, sure. Do you like coffee?

‹‹ "Do you like coffee?" What a stupid question to a person who just came to a cafeteria where they sell coffee and things that we all ignore because we are all addicted to caffeine. ››, I thought immediately. The intrusive thoughts attacked me instantly.

— A little, yes. — she shrugged her shoulders, adopting a relaxed posture in her chair. — The truth is that I was crossing when I saw you through the window. So I wanted to come say hi. I haven't seen you since Grace's party.

‹‹ So she just came in to say hello? ››

— Yes, it's true, that afternoon was great. — I hastened to say. Suddenly I remembered us on the porch that afternoon, I smiled remembering the times she beat us in games and got so excited that she couldn't help but do little dances.

— Don't even mention it, it's been a long time since I hung out with the boys. Anyway, what are you doing? How's it going? — she asked, bringing me back to reality.

— Well, I guess, I don't have a job yet, but I'll find something soon. — I lied.

The truth is that at this point I already felt like a failure, my spirits were at rock bottom. After all, that was the main reason I was in the cafeteria in the first place.