4. - Lesbian? Why would I be a lesbian?

I was at my parents' house, the same one that used to be my home.

During half of college, I worked at the same newspaper, which allowed me to save up enough money to support myself after graduation. There were moments when I doubted whether I would ever truly be able to move out of my parents' house. Now that I've finally achieved independence, I visit them on weekends for dinner to keep them updated about my life and to ease my mother's worries.

—Nora! —My mother greeted me as soon as she opened the door.

— Mom! — I hugged her.

As I hugged her, I remembered how I have been reminded all my life of how much I look like my mother, only with glasses. My mother is just as short as I am, but her night-black hair was straighter than mine. The only thing that differentiated us was age and the fact that she didn't have a mole on her face; she had inherited that from my father.

My father is a man a little taller than me, pale-skinned and tough-looking. He wears glasses to see better, just like me. He almost always wears the same clothes - a semi-formal shirt and blue pants.

— For a moment we thought you wouldn't arrive! — My father replied from the dining room before greeting me.

— Sorry, I lost track of time. — I excused myself, I wasn't going to tell my parents that I almost missed the family dinner because I was drinking cocktails.

— It's okay sweetheart. —My mother mentioned as we moved towards the dining room. —Anyway, I took a long time preparing dinner, I think it just came out.

As I walked through the house, I realized that nothing had changed since I left. The walls were still the same navy blue, adorned with family pictures from her childhood. Seeing those photos filled me with nostalgia for my own past. I quickly looked away, not wanting to dwell on those memories.

— Hi Dad. — I entered the dining room and greeted him. He was reading the newspaper when I appeared.

—Nora. — he greeted without taking his eyes off the newspaper. — You're almost late, the sun is already setting.

— Don't bother her, Sean, she had a busy day, she's probably starving. — My mother interfered while serving dinner for everyone. I decided to help her and started serving the drinks.

— Mhm. - my father complained. — Busy doing what?

— Looking for another job, dad, I want to leave the newspaper. — I argued, shrugging my shoulders.

My father immediately set his sights on me, putting away his newspaper. — Leave the newspaper? But I thought you were doing well. — he asked, arching his eyebrow markedly on his face. Clear sign of how confused he was.

— I'm doing well, but it's not what I want to dedicate myself to forever, Dad. — I handed him his glass of lemonade, feeling scared about how he would react.

— I see... — he said, not very convinced, and went back to reading his newspaper.

Well, at least he hadn't disliked my answer.

I often feel like I'm not enough for him. It seems that no matter how many of my articles get good reviews, it's not the same for him anymore. But I do what I can.

Soon, dinner was ready. My mother had prepared spaghetti accompanied by mashed potatoes and chicken bathed in sauce. We were all ready for dinner. I was grateful that the topics of conversation were over so we could all get ready to eat. I sat down in my place and took a sip of my lemonade.