13. It's okay to be afraid.

— Good job, Nora, as always. — my boss mentioned while reading my column. — I see you finished earlier. Long before in fact.

— Well, I was inspired. — I lied.

The truth is that I let myself be consumed by my work to stop thinking about everything that had happened recently in my life.

Right now, I am in the office of my boss, Jane. A tall woman with wavy hair and a dark skin complexion. She was quite young, no more than thirty. I had just handed her a sample of my writing which I had printed out when I arrived at my office in the building.

— I see. Good job. I assume you already sent it to edit, right? — she asked me, leaving the writing that I had printed for her on her desk.

— Yes, I sent it last night as soon as I finished it. — I pointed out, adjusting my glasses.

— Perfect! — she announced, getting up from her desk to pour herself coffee from the coffee maker in her office. — You should hang out more with others, to see if they learn something from you.

I simply gave a slight smile. — Everyone has their own thing, Jane.

I had worked here since before I finished university, and I always got along well with the boss so I could talk informally with her. Although I think she has always had a marked favoritism with me. I mean, she had given me my own office and gave me the freedom to work at home as well. So, my office was empty most of the time, but from time to time I would spend hours working here so I wouldn't spend the whole day in my apartment.

— Yes but they need to improve. — she took a sip of his freshly brewed coffee. — You have a lot of potential, Nora. Don't waste it just writing columns.

I was startled. — Sorry?

— You know what I mean. — she mentioned taking a seat at her desk again. — I hate seeing wasted potential. You need to spread your wings. — she said as she looked through the large window of her office. — You know you can work for me for the rest of your life if that's what you want, I would be delighted. But I can't help but notice that you are destined for something more.

At first, I thought my boss wanted to fire me, but as I listened carefully to her words, I understood what she wanted to tell me.

— Maybe. For now, you'll just have to put up with me a little longer, I guess. — I joked.

She just laughed and motioned to me that I could go. I traced my steps out of her office and headed towards mine.

Like my apartment, my office was decorated in a minimalist way, in shades of blue colors, of course. Since the building had glass everywhere, I naturally had a huge window in my office that looked out on a beautiful view of the city, but the walls surrounding my area were tempered glass for added privacy.

It had a desk designed large enough to stack several columns of an average writer's stationery. But I always kept everything organized, so there was plenty of space. I only had a few small stacks of paper from some writing in progress, my computer, and a frame of a photo of me with Grace.

I sat down and turned on my computer to check my work email and calendar. Sometimes we had meetings so I must have been aware of the events of the day.

I didn't have any pending. And I hadn't received any mail either, so I assumed I had nothing to do today.

I leaned back in my chair and thought about what my boss had just said. I grabbed my phone and looked at the screenwriter's contact that Charlie had sent me.