7. Sweet dreams

— Sorry for bothering you while you were working. — she mentioned with a shrug of her shoulders.

— No problem, Charlie. — I smiled at her.

We were on the sidewalk outside the lobby of the building where I live. It was a little chilly. Charlie was wearing a black hoodie and black jeans as well. It was weird to see her without her cargo, but she looked pretty good.

Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail, some strands were sticking out, but somehow they ended up making good shape around her face.

Our cab arrived shortly after and was soon on its way to her apartment.

The walk was quite short, and quiet. I know I had only known her for a short time, but I found her attitude strange today. I related it to the fact that maybe she had been working on that canvas for a while and was probably frustrated at not being able to complete it.

When we arrived she got out first and offered me her hand so I could get out as well. She proceeded to pay the driver and we walked the same way we did the first time I came. Just as quietly.

I thought about whether I should ask her if she was okay, but I thought it was better if she opened up to me a little at a time. Maybe she just needed company.

— Would you like a cup of coffee? I left it on before I left. — he offered as we entered his apartment.

I nodded shyly. — I would, yes.

— Okay, you can hang your bag and coat on the coat rack in the entryway, if you like. The Wi-Fi password is on the coffee table. — she pointed out to me.

— Thanks.

I watched her walk straight into her kitchen.

I took off my trench coat and put it on the coat rack. I decided to head to the couch with my purse, as that was where my laptop was located. I then saw the little post-it where she had written the password and proceeded to save the password on my phone.

Then my gaze fell on his canvas, it was leaning against the wall. As I assessed the room with my eyes I noticed that the canvases I had seen the first time I came were gone, in fact, there was only the one I was currently painting and others that had clear plastic wrap on them, they were new.

Charlie walked towards me and offered me a cup of coffee, I took it.

— Did you put the other canvases away? I mean, the ones there were when I first came. — I mentioned.

— No, I sold them. — she responded returning to the kitchen.

— Ah, so you also work making paintings? — I asked curious.

— I take commissions, yes. Apparently, people still like traditional art. — she said behind my back, still in the kitchen.

— Wow, have you been doing it long? — I blew a little on my coffee and took a sip.

— Enough to get good at painting. — she said, sitting next to me on the living room couch. —Although right now that bastard is making my life difficult. — she pointed with her gaze towards the canvas leaning against the wall. The same one she had taken a photo of and shown me by message.

I laughed. — I see. Although I still think you're doing pretty well. — I mentioned sipping the coffee that Charlie had prepared for me.

— Tampoco se trata de mentir por convivir, Nora. — she took a sip too.