Chapter six

Los Angeles, 2009

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

"Did you get the job?"

"Yes..." Carmen hesitated before continuing. "As a cleaner."

As Carmen revealed her new job, the weight of her words hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the room. It wasn't something she really wanted, but at least she can win more money.

"Cleaner? How so?" Lola pressed.

"I don't have many options here, so I need to go low." Carmen explained, her voice tinged with frustration.

"That's right, but why did you specifically choose this?"

"Well, the reason is that I didn't even finish my studies. I regret that." Carmen admitted with a hint of remorse in her voice.

"So you told me you are from London." Lola observed, trying to piece together Carmen's past.

Her past? It was an enigma, but she had to be open either way or she might wake up with even more questions from others.

"Yeah,"

"At what school did you study?" Lola probed further.

"Hampshire High School."

"Hampshire? That's impressive, but did you drop off?"

"It was too much for me to bear." Carmen confessed, feeling a boulder on her shoulders as she remembers her time at the school she truly attended, just not Hampshire.

"It is a very demanding school." Lola acknowledged.

"Look, I won't be forever a cleaner. I know there must be something waiting somewhere for me. I just need the right plan or I might be stuck here." Carmen asserted, having in mind something else that would change at least in her mind her life.

"Don't sell drugs, okay?" Lola interjected.

"I wasn't even mentioning that!" Carmen exclaimed, taken aback by Lola's assumption.

"Then what you are going to do?"

"That's the thing...I have no idea."

"Hey, I can help you with the work shifts." Lola offered.

"Really?" Carmen's eyes light up with hope.

"Yes!"

"I should be cleaning by now." Carmen remarked as she looked at the clock.

"When are you leaving?"

"At 7pm."

"I'll pick you up at 7pm. Where exactly?" Lola asked.

"Ford Models agency."

"A modelling agency? Carmen, this is insane. You need to do something."

"Look at me, Lola. What can I do besides physical work?"