Chapter eleven

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

Carmen enters the kitchen and stops short, her eyes widening in surprise. There, on her knees in front of the small fridge, is Lola. Her friend's movements are frantic as she rummages through the refrigerator, the contents shifting noisily as she shoves aside containers and bags in her desperate search.

"Lola? What's going on?" Carmen asks, her brow furrowed in concern as she observes Lola's erratic behavior. Lola's hands are trembling, and her eyes seem distant.

Lola doesn't respond immediately, her hands continuing to dig through the fridge. Her shoulders are tense, and her breathing is rapid. She pulls out a nearly empty carton of milk, shakes it, and then tosses it aside with a huff of frustration.

"Thought you'd never ask," Lola responds, her tone terse and clipped. She paces back and forth, her agitation palpable.

Carmen kneels down beside her, gently placing a hand on Lola's arm to stop her frenetic movements. "Where were you?" she presses, needing answers, her voice growing more insistent.

"Listen, I..." Lola trails off, then suddenly shifts gears. "Where is the cake?" Her eyes dart around the room, searching for something that's not there.

"What cake?" Carmen's confusion is evident as she furrows her brow.

"Shit, I meant brownies!" Lola exclaims, her frustration mounting. Her movements become more frenetic.

"I never made brownies, Lo. Hey, hey, why are you so erratic all of a sudden?" Carmen reaches out to steady Lola, her worry etched deep on her face.

"Can't you stop worrying for a fucking second?" Lola snaps, pulling away sharply, her eyes blazing.

"Look at me! What did you take?" Carmen demands, her voice firm as she grips Lola's shoulders, forcing her to make eye contact.

"I am hungry, Carmen! I didn't eat so much," Lola deflects, her gaze skittering away, refusing to settle.

"I can get you some soup. Stay here and don't move," Carmen says, trying to de-escalate the situation, but her frustration is palpable. "I need some answers, now!" she insists, her voice tight with anxiety.

"Okay, okay..." Lola concedes, her voice dropping to a near whisper. "I had to pay a debt."

"What are you talking about?" Carmen asks, her confusion deepening, her eyes narrowing.

"A debt to Jordan because I bought a car from him," Lola explains, her voice barely audible.

The mention of Jordan, someone Carmen only vaguely knew of, now takes on a sinister connotation.

"How much?" Carmen presses, leaning in closer.

"Twelve something...Twelve K," Lola admits, her voice low and ashamed.