Chapter seven

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

Tonight wasn't like every night Carmen would think of. The ballroom buzzed with the chatter of the elite, the soft sounds of a violin filling the air. Crystal chandeliers cast a warm glow over the guests, who mingled and sipped champagne from delicate flutes. The marble floors reflected the shimmering lights, adding an ethereal quality to the grand space.

In one corner, a group of women in designer gowns huddled together, their eyes narrowing as they watched Carmen Saunders glide across the room with an air of effortless confidence, even with a modest white dress.

"Who the fuck does she think she is?" hissed Alexis, a striking woman with brown hair and blonde highlights, her hand tightening around her glass.

"Why is she here?"

Carmen, dressed in a sleek white dress that contrasted sharply with the more ostentatious attire around her, paused her graceful sweep through the room. Her presence was magnetic. With a smile, she approached the group of women, who recoiled slightly as she neared, their expensive perfumes mingling into a cloud of opulence and insecurity.

"Ladies, you'll age even faster with all the envy you can't let go of," Carmen said smoothly, her voice carrying a hint of amusement and a touch of warning. "Especially you, Alexis."

"Who are you, cleaner?"

"Carmen Saunders, with pleasure."

Alexis stepped forward, her expression a mix of curiosity and contempt.  "No, who are you to go here as if you are one of us?"

"I have to fulfill my duties, of course."

"But you keep bothering us." Alexis interjected, her voice sharp and indignant.

"By my presence?" Carmen tilted her head slightly, a mocking glint in her eye. "That sounds like you are the problem. I am just cleaning, not stealing your short-lived career."

There was a moment of stunned silence as the women processed Carmen's words. She gave them a polite nod and continued her elegant stride across the backstage, leaving them behind with their mouths agape and their envy laid bare.