Chapter thirteen

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

-ᕚ • ᕘ-

"Who's this?" Carmen answered the phone, her voice tinged with curiosity.

"Bill. I gave you my number," he replied, his tone casual but direct.

"I don't remember getting your number,"

"I don't care now. Are you free today, Carmen?" Bill asked, cutting to the chase.

"It depends, why?"

"On what?"

"Got things to do," she replied, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Hmm, busy lady... Anyway, I'm going to a warehouse to forklift rides and do many activities with my friends. Wanna come?" Bill's invitation was spontaneous.

"Maybe. Pick me up at seven," Carmen said, finally giving in a little.

"Seven? You can't go at six?"

"Nope. Seven or I'll not come," she stated firmly, leaving no room for negotiation.

"What's your address?" Bill asked, shifting his plans to accommodate her.

"See ya downtown,"

"Gotta go. Bye!" Bill said, ending the conversation with urgency.

At seven, as agreed, Carmen made her way downtown. The evening was cool, the city alive with the usual buzz. She spotted Bill leaning against his Thunderbird, the same grey beanie covering his hair. His casual attire blended with the crowd, but there

It was as if she wanted to jump for joy from the moment she realized that he had written his number on the record he gave to her a week ago, albeit vaguely. An invitation, but they didn't even know each other. A chance that you mostly bet on luck. This small, almost hidden gesture felt like an invitation, in an otherwise ordinary day.

-•-

Adrenaline rushed through her veins, she wasn't on ecstasy, but Carmen definitely couldn't stop running around the city. The streets were alive with activity, but her focus was singular-Bill.

Bill was waiting for her in the area where was, right there, but there were not many people to recognize him dressed simply in jeans and a worn jacket, he was nearly unrecognizable with a grey beanie covering his hair. He leaned casually against his motorcycle, holding two helmets.

"Hi." Bill greeted her with a warm smile, removing his helmet and letting his hair tumble out messily.

"Hi?"

The silence that settled at that moment seemed rather embarrassing, causing them both to stare at each other, but the silence was broken by her. It was as if they were meeting for the first time in a while and they couldn't recognize each other.

"Since when do you own a motorcycle?"

"You don't know?" Bill asked, surprised.

"No! I didn't ever heard you mention that."

"Well, I did. In my BBC interview if you wanna see."

"Is that a Harley?"

"Nein." he said proudly. "It's a Thunderbird." he spoke as he pulls out his pack of squares along with the lighter from his jacket pocket, pointing the cigarette at her. "Uh...Do you smoke?"

"I needed that. Thank you, Bill!" Carmen said, eagerly.

"Are you cool with Camels?" smoke unfurls from his mouth as he speaks and looks at her eyes.

"I don't really mind the brand."

"Do you trust me?"

"I do."

"Come on. We got a long ride."

They put their helmets on. After getting on the motorcycle, he took out his keys from his jacket, then they sped out through the streets. She holds him by his lower back as he was focused on the road.

The rush of excitement from Bill's Thunderbird filled her stomach with butterflies. She laughed as he turned a corner a snuggled deep into his back. When they finally came to a stop and Bill took off his helmet, his hair was a wild, untamed mess. He looked at her with a teasing grin.

"Why are you smiling, Novalie?" he asked, noticing her expression.

Butterflies in her stomach began to swarm from the moment he briefly looked at her, grinning.

"My name's Carmen, you nosy prick!" she retorted playfully.

"A birdie told me that this is your middle name. Is that true?" he teased.

"How the fuck you know it? No one calls me like that!"

"Well, I got my sources." he said enigmatically, lighting another cigarette.

"Oh, piss off!" she laughed, shaking her head in disbelief but unable to wipe the smile off her face.

They arrived, and he knocked on the door. It was open. The room was quite bright, with large shelves packed with goods.

"These are my friends. Carmen, he's Tom, my brother."