Chapter Ten

We were in the car on our way back to Bebe's where the rest of the gang sat waiting when Craig suddenly slammed his hand down on the roof of the truck snagging Kenny's attention and making Kaldi and I jump. I stuck my head out the window and somehow ended up sitting on the door shouting over the wind as we soared over the black pavement below. "Tell Kenny to stop at Token's. I made a promise I got to keep."

"What promise?

"I got to go somewhere this afternoon. There's an old friend I need to be with and someone I need to introduce them to." Craig's reply was very vague and very dark. I had a feeling whatever this was, it was very personal to him and he needed my understanding and cooperation.

"Okay, babe." I smiled at him as I slid back into the truck cab. I turned to talk to Kenny only to find the man had my daughter in his lap, letting her steer the truck. I found this to be both adorable and terrifying. WHAT KIND OF MAN LETS A FOUR YEAR OLD STEER A TRUCK THAT'S ALREADY BREAKING THE SPEED LIMIT? We were currently at the mercy of my four year old's twitching hands as Kenny's old truck slithered over the asphalt at a dizzying 95 mph. The fucker was out of his mind! "KENNY!"

"What?" the blonde laughed as he placed a hand on the wheel. Kaldi giggled as she looked between the two of us, her eyes lighting up like matches in the dark. As I watched her eyes I noticed that her gray eye was becoming more of a white. It didn't light up as bright as her green one. I knew she was blind in that eye but to see it slowly turning white and dead was very upsetting. "She had it."

"Kenny, when Kaldi is old enough to drive, I'll let you teach her, but for now can you not place the lives of so many in the hands of my child?" I sighed, "Kaldi, you did great, baby, but there are so many things that could happen that aren't within your control while driving and I would hate to see you blame yourself if something happened. For now, you can help Kenny steer, but don't do it alone just yet, okay?"

"Yes, Daddy." Kaldi smiled brightly, "Thank you -GAH- for letting me steer, Mr. Kenny."

"Doll, just call me Kenny. I don't want you to think I'm too old to be cool," Kenny laughed.

I remembered my conversation with Craig and once more turned to address the blonde in an orange jacket. "Craig says to stop by Token's. He has to grab something. Said something about keeping a promise."

"Okay, no problem. Token's is just a few minutes away."

For the next few minutes nothing else was said. Kaldi sat on Kenny's lap, her tiny hands gripping the wheel and turning it with him. Kenny had slowed the truck to a relatively safer speed of 55 mph. I sat watching my daughter interacting with the blonde. I hated to say it, but I was jealous of how much Kaldi was clinging to Kenny. As if sensing something was wrong with me, Kenny turned to look at me with a sad smile. He slid a hand into his jacket pocket and pulled out an old, faded photograph. It was a worn out school picture of a little girl. Her dirty brown hair pulled back by a headband, she wore a faded and filthy looking dress and had a bandaid on her cheek. She smiled shyly at the camera as she clung to a small doll. The doll was a blonde ragdoll with a pink dress and matching bonnet. She was as faded and filthy as the dress the young girl wore. The slightest impression of writing appeared on the top of the image causing me to turn it over. On the back, in looping yet small feminine handwriting was a small note:

To Karen's favorite older brother, Kenneth McCormick,

Karen McCormick, age five, South Park Preschool yearbook photo.

May her love for you never fade as you both grow. The bond you two have is a great one. Best of luck in your lives.

Mrs. Linda Stotch, Karen's teacher.