Breathe

Breath Play ep 17 s10

"Kai, these are yours. I suggest you use them wisely." Aaron hands her an FBI badge and ID. He also hands her a taser and shows her how to attach it to a belt. A gun is also given to her.

"You're giving her weapons?" Morgan asks in disbelief.

"She's going to be in the field. If something happens and she needs to protect herself, she needs to be able to do that."

He turns to Kai and gives her a stern look. "Though if you use this gun when it's not absolutely necessary you will be immediately thrown back in jail." Aaron says.

"Even though she's supposed to never leave our sides?" Morgan says.

"And she wont." He gives Kai a look when he says this. "If anyone asks, this is Kaitlyn Holland. FBI agent." He says. Hotch helps Kai attach the badge to her skirt. The team gets settled down in their seats and Kate shows Kai how to hold her ID.

The team doesn't say anything but they all take notice of how shy and insecure Kai is acting. She isn't talking or making eye contact. She seems to be doing everything she can to not have to interact with any of them. They haven't seen her like this before. Well, at least not most of them. Reid and Hotch knew she acted like this when they first met her at her house. Although, even then she made some eye contact.

The team notice as she blushes and gets embarrassed when she accidently drops the badge. Her eyes darting everywhere before settling her sights on her shoes.

"Let's go over victimology." Hotch speaks as they settle once the plane is in the air. The group has made a somewhat circle out of themselves to make it easier to share information and thoughts with each other.

"All three victims were born and raised in the Madison area. No priors."

"Mary Healy was a dentist, while Donna Rayburn was a logistics manager. Both were 27 and single." JJ says, opening her file. "And Emma Ziko, the latest victim, was a chef. She was 30 and married."

"Married?" Reids head pops up before he asked. "That could be an escalation to what he desires most."

Kate hums. "They lived three miles from each other, but their social and work lives don't overlap. So then the neighborhood itself might be a connection to him."

"Getting in and out of a house undetected is tricky. We still haven't ruled out a ruse." Hotch says.

Rossi continues. "With this combo of balls and skill, it can't be his first time killing."

"And Garcia should search for any past high risk victims in the area." Morgan says.

"We should see if any of the victims were in phone contact with the unsub." Kate says.

"All right, Dave, you and Reid go to the medical examiner. Morgan, Kai, and Kate go to the newest crime scene. JJ and I will interview family at the station." Hotch orders.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

"Emma was married and had an alarm. That seems like two giant escalations." Kate says.

Kate, Kai, and Morgan stood by the entry to the victim: Emma Zikos house.

"So how'd this guy get around the system?" Morgan asks.

"Maybe he didn't." Kai says. The first words she had said since they got off the plane. Though she had barely talked then. Mostly just listened to the team come up with theories and looked out the window. She had said 'Thank you' to Morgan when he opened the door to the car for her, before he drove both of the girls to the crime scene.